Border Collie/Lab Spay care tips!

dobyzheee

Hello! I have an almost 9 mo border collie lab mix who hasn't been spayed yet and hasn't had her first heat. She's super energetic and enthusiastic, so I'm nervous about her being hyper after surgery and injuring herself.

I wish I could have gotten her spayed sooner, but I got my pup at 4 months old, around march, right before Corona hit, and her previous owners hadn't given her any of her shots: so timing, just didn't work out to get her spayed sooner. I figure a pamphlet will come from the vet after her surgery about what to do. My normal vet is a mobile only vet, so he doesn't do surgeries. I have to go to someone else who isn't familiar with my dog, and because of Corona, she must stay at the vets office all day (8:30-5:30) to avoid unnecessary contact, which I hate, but it's a necessity because I also have an intact male at my residence and it'll be better for her health in the long run. She also gets super car sick, so the ride might be stressful right before surgery, and I would like to avoid that kind if stress too (I've tried CBD which has helped some but not completely)

So, any tips or stories you have or learned from spaying your pup is welcome, she's my first dog, so I want to be sure I can accommodate to her since she is usually a ball of energy

@dobyzheee Keep her on leash around the house and in the yard to keep her from running or jumping. Stuff some Kongs (her kibble mixed with canned food/ mashed banana/ yogurt/ something gooey), get some bully sticks and other chews, food puzzles, and you'll be fine.

Also it's better for growth and behavior to have waited, and would better to wait even longer, so don't beat yourself up over having not done it yet.

@legend28 Great advice, thanks! I got a long lead a couple weeks ago! Perhaps I can use that around the yard so that she can have some extra room too.

My vet told me that if I'm not planning on having a litter of pups, then the younger the better, because with females their risks for certain cancers go up (... and you can pick them up easier when they're small! :D ). I'm mainly wanting to do it now because we live with an intact male, and I want her healthy

@dobyzheee Number one, can the male dog be fixed too?

I volunteer at a shelter. lots of times, the dogs we have come in are not little puppies and they get fixed just fine. For females, we walk them on a leash for a few days, keep an eye on their stitches and make sure it doesn't get red or nasty looking. Try to keep her from licking the stitches. And do some googling about canine enrichment. There are many things you can do to manage her energy levels without letting her run around and possibly hurt herself. collies are very smart dogs so some calm training time will work out her brain and exhaust her enough. Kikopup has some great videos on youtube. the vet will most likely offer you pain meds for her which will make her a bit sleepy. I have always found that dogs, on the day of surgery, are pretty calm afterwards because they are still overcoming the effects of anesthesia and are hurting a little. Don't forget that animals can pick up on your feelings. She will feel and smell that you are anxious. If you are calm and happy, then she will be calm and happy. good on you for getting her fixed. It is scary but you are her rock so you have to show her how to feel.

@dobyzheee You might bring up your concerns to your Vet. I did and they gave me a light dosage of Trazadone for my pup. It didn’t work completely but for her (she still had a lot of energy) but I have heard it work for others!

Other than that, lots of training, food puzzles, nosework, and chews were a big help!