Bonded littermate has started attacking her sister at 5 y/o

roovis

Tl;dr: Littermate has started attacking her bonded sibling at age 5. Could be littermate syndrome but could be rage syndrome. Last time I got in the middle and was bit. Is it better to rehome or keep pushing? What do we do next?

At a loss for what to do.

Our GSD/Collie-mix girls were adopted to us as bonded littermates. They love each other deeply, sleep cuddling together, worry when the other isn't around. We had these girls for two years without issue, and they had no prior aggression history.

Then in the last year Selkie has started attacking her sister Puca. She's a very timid, cuddly, couch potato of a dog normally. When she attacks its like her eyes glaze over and she is no longer "present." It's vicious and prolonged. She breaks skin. If we weren't there to intervene we think she would do very serious damage. These attacks sometimes coincide with overstimulation, but often have no lead up or warning at all.

(I should mention Puca has also started these fights a few times, but she doesn't go vicious the way Selkie does. Puca's is more akin to sibling bullying [tackling and jumping without knowing when to stop], whereas Selkie actually goes for serious pain.)

We took Selkie to the vet who thinks it might be rage syndrome based on the no-warning behavior switch, but the other clear possibility we see is littermate syndrome. Its just weird that it would start as adults.

We started Selkie on daily gabapentin. Started walking them seperately, only letting them outside seperately, and keeping them in seperate parts of the house for large portions of the day. For a while things seemed to be getting better. Selkie was still starting shit, but a quick grab now pulled her out of it, whereas before she had to be dragged off, restrained, and calmed.

Then a few days ago we were having a calm night when Selkie lunged at her sister again. When I pulled her off she kept going and chomped onto my arm. No blood, but there's two puncture marks and a big bruise. I don't know if she intended to bite me or if I just got caught in the crossfires, but she kept snapping and trying to pull away from me. I had to put my body weight on her and shove her head down onto the floor until she calmed down long enough I could get her in a room and shut the door. And she was still low growling even at that point.

We have a converted shed in the back that my husband uses as a music space. Right now thats where Selkie lives until we get her a new muzzle (she learned to take off her old one).

My husband wont ever give up on Selkie, but since I was bit he's left it to me what happens next. We got them from a last home rescue, and if we did rehome Selkie she would go back to the same rescue. The girls actually were fostered the owner of the rescue, and I know she has a particular soft spot for them and their wellbeing. I still send her pictures of them sometimes. And we could always surrender Selkie, but offer to foster until they've found the right home for her.

I'm trying to focus on what's best for both girls.

I just don't know what quality of life they'll have apart. Even when she's just been attacked, Puca mopes and leads us to her sister when they're seperated. Neither has slept well since they've been split up. And when we let Puca outside she goes straight to Selkie's door.

If we give up Selkie we imagine both dogs going through a deep depression - possibly always carrying that dark cloud over them. But together feels like a big tragedy waiting to happen.

This could just be littermate syndrome. We have another dog and a cat and neither of them have ever been the target. Its always poor Puca who takes the brunt of all this. And she doesn't seem to rage out if Puca isn't there. So far anyway. If this is actually just littermate syndrome, I worry we're doing a disservice by keeping the girls together.

But if it IS rage syndrome then I worry about putting a dangerous dog out onto another family, and that she might start attacking people at some point. I worry that we're putting an inevitable BE on someone else. I also feel like my husband has a rare patience and capacity for Selkie's behavior. He's the guy that will stand by her and add all the extra routines to his day while she tries different epileptic medications until we find the one that works. He doesn't want to split the family. He wants to keep trying and making this work.

What would you do in my shoes?

@roovis When she attacks its like her eyes glaze over and she is no longer "present." It's vicious and prolonged.

Get this dog to a veterinary behaviorist or neurologist STAT: this sounds very much like epilepsy related aggression AKA "rage syndrome." The eyes glazing over thing is pretty diagnostic. And there are some anti-epileptic meds she can take that might control it.

And both GSDs and collies are at high genetic predisposition for epilepsy in any case.

@roovis I would honestly get her evaluated by a veterinary behaviorist. I know several dogs that could get along with a particular dog (or dogs), but were otherwise non reactive. What worries me more is that Selkie’s bite is not well inhibited (like Puca’s), this has big implications for potential adopters.

I wouldn’t let the concern about separating them be the deciding factor. They would probably go through a rough patch, but their life quality and stress levels would go down over time.

@nablusstar We've been trying to see a behaviorist, but one isn't answering back, and the other is out of budget. The one not answering is the one the vet recommended to us.

In retrospect I think Selkie always had trouble with bite inhibition. The girls were wild and found under a porch. They were at the rescue for a year being socialized before being adopted out. They were never EVER considered aggressive, only fearful of people. But Selkie never really learned to play fight. She'll run around with other dogs and chase for a bit. But back when they were all allowed to play together, when the other dogs would tackle and play fight, she'd kind of just sit there and chomp the air. Used to be funny.

@roovis I wonder if it might be a better idea to rehome Puca. As a dog without a bite history, she has a better chance of finding a good home, and you guys know how to manage Selkie. If it is littermate syndrome, the problems will go away, and you won’t be faced with the ethical dilemma of rehoming a dog with a bite history.

You can also try to “crate and rotate” and not let the dogs be in the same room together. I use quotes because I’m a big fan of tether and umbilical training, where you attach the dog to either a piece of furniture (tether training) or you (umbilical training). This would allow your Selkie to be out and part of the family, but the leash would stop her from attacking the other dog. Crate and rotate can be a long term solution, particularly if you add tether training so they can spend more time out of the crate.

@imagebeastmarkbeast I was thinking about this! The only reason I didn't lean this direction is because we originally adopted the girls to be companions to our boy Jojo, who was understimulated. He really got close to Puca - it feels like what they have is romantic tbh. Him and Selkie will snuggle or run around sometimes but they just aren't as close. But I need to consider all their needs equally at this point, so I should really put it back on the table.

Those are good training tips! The girls responded poorly to crate training, but tether training could work. We would need to supervise closely still, since Puca will sometimes rile up Selkie when Selkie is restrained and she thinks she can get away with it. Not aggressively, but it makes Selkie aggressive. It'll be a matter of behavior training on our part though.

@roovis Honestly once this behavior starts, you probably will just have to manage things by keeping them separated at all times. The chances are pretty high that it will keep happening. My dogs got along great, then they got into it causing injuries to each other. I thought they would be able to get through it but it happened again a couple of times, I tried to prevent it but the reactive one at one point jumped over the couch to get to the other one. I learned after that that once they start this it is almost impossible to stop. I have a management system in place now where they are never allowed to be loose together in the same room. I rotate them to let them out and will tether the biggest offender separated by a baby fence. Sorry you are dealing with this. It is super stressful. My reactive girl is on multiple meds and under the care of a veterinary behaviorist.

@roovis Selkie should have a thorough nose-to-tail evaluation, including blood tests. The vet should check hormone levels (blood tests), vision, hearing, skeletal and range of motion issues and general pain, an oral examination, and neurological testing.

Puca could have an undiagnosed illness that Selkie is picking up on. It would probably be best to have her thoroughly examined as well, but leaning more toward disease rather than functional issues such as pain or vision or hearing loss.

@stokinbusuk Absolutely this is great advice. I foster a lot of dogs.. and usually have 2-3 permanent dogs.. so know personalities.. and changes in dynamic (with dogs who previously were very good together reliably) are so often pain or neurological in aggressive dog or illness in other.

@roovis [I would take Puca to the vet on the off-chance that an undiagnosed medical condition in Puca is making Selkie go after her due to a subtle change in smell. Other people have the other excellent suggestions].

@roovis This is not unheard of among litter mates and it very rarely gets better. Eventually they often get tired of one another and need to be in separate living spaces. You might need to consider rehoming one of them.

@roovis There’s actually no substantial proof of littermate syndrome OR rage syndrome (although I do think that how the OWNER reads littermates can cause that problematic behavior). And given the sudden change of behavior it doesn’t add up.

Could be a brain tumor or something neurological. I agree with someone else, go to a really thorough, reputable vet. And get that super thorough work up. Not just an exam.

@roovis See a behaviorist and get her on Prozac! Your regular vet can do this as well. Im fostering a herding mix dog that would get “possessed” and suddenly overstimulated. She would nip anything near her uncontrollably. We tried so many things and nothing helped. Prozac stopped these episodes completely and if she gets any sort of look like before, she starts doing the zoomies instead! It takes about a month to see results. We saw positive changes right away. I don’t take medication lightly and am soo happy we tried.