Blood in stool

oursimpleife

Hi everyone my dog has been suffering with diarrhea the past 2-3 days and just now he pooped and there was blood, bright red. I thought he was getting better, was planning to take him to the vet only if needed.

Now that I saw blood I'll take him to the vet today but it's 5am here and kinda dangerous to go outside alone w/ him (don't have a car, uber/taxis won't take dogs). Is there a big chance this is serious? I know it can be obvi but is it most likely not serious? If anyone could calm me down I'm desperate and I lost a dog on this exact day last year so I'm so so so anxious, I'll take him to the vet around 8 or 9. thanks so much

@oursimpleife It could possibly be something…but it could also not. Just bring a sample of the stool to the vet and have them test it. You don’t need to bring the dog with you for that.

@joyelade Ooh, I didn't know I only had to take a sample! I took him and they ran some tests. He's still there receiving treatment but vet said he should be fine now with professional care :) she said it could get worse if we waited more though (thankfully we didn't). Thank you!

@krys77 yeah i took him already, they ran some tests and diagnosed him w something i don't know the name to in english lol he's still there receiving treatment until tomorrow at least but vet said he should be fine as what he has is treatable. thanks though!

@oursimpleife It sounds like colitis* which could end up serious. In the mean time, gather a stool sample and bring it to the vet. Fast your dog for 24 hours then feed a bland diet such as chicken and rice or boiled hamburger and rice for 3 days. Plain, canned pumpkin can help with diarrhea. Feed about a TBSP per 25lbs.

Edited to colitis. With gastritis you would also expect some vomiting.

@oursimpleife Blood in the stool after diarhea is serious, but it can probably wait until morning when your vet opens. Dogs are prone to blood in diarhea when they have it for extended periods of time as it upsets their stomaches unless you’re worried about something could’ve eaten it’s not necessarily an emergency but definitely worth going to the vet for some anti diarrheal meds at the least. Bring a sample if you can, but if not, your vet should be able to get one for your dog.

Back