blade # q for andis proclip ag2

manatus22

Hello everyone. I groom my 12 pound poodle mix using an andis AG2 w a #5 comb (5mm) with a #10 blade. A few times the plastic comb gets stuck in her hair . I want to buy the equivalent in terms of length for a blade of that length? IDK how to calculate the total length of the 5mm of the comb and the # 10 blade to get the same length as a blade? Thanks

@manatus22 No calculation necessary, putting them together doesn't add extra length it's just the 5mm. That being said a #5 blade is probably going to be the closest at 6.3mm.

@manatus22 A #5 blade is 1/4” (6mm)
A #7 blade is 1/8” (3mm)

You can also try using a #30 blade but instead of the plastic comb, invest in a metal one. Much more durable.

@jdt Thanks. I think I’m going to go w a 5.
Why do you recommend a 30 blade vs the 10 using the combs? Is there a difference lengthwise? Thanks

@manatus22 The 30 blade cuts closer. When you use a 10 with a comb, it can snag and won’t be as smooth. Groomers typically use 30s as it guarantees smoothness and you don’t get “lines”.

@jdt Oh thanks! I didn't know exactly why groomers put a 30 blade under the clipper combs, that makes sense. I did okay with my 10 blade + 1" comb the first time I clipped my dog a few weeks ago. Her hair is pretty randomly wavy though so it tends to hide imperfections which is convenient for me and my inexperience :)

@jdt I just got my clippers recently but I really like my Wahl metal attachment comb. Glides easily through my bernedoodle's thick coat.

Back