Biting/ territory issue

khr

I have a female blue heeler who is 6.5 months and we’ve been working on biting since 8 weeks. For the most part it has been manageable but for some reason over the last 4-5 days she is relentless when i get shoes on and get to the back door.

She locks on to my toes and bites at my shoes. IF we can somehow get out the door she does the same in the yard.

I’ve tried redirecting, shoving a toy in her mouth, trying to distract her, being asserting, I’ve tried holding her by the collar or scruff. I’ve firmly said or yelled “NO” and nothing is working.

Has anyone else dealt with this?

For reference, we walk at least 3 miles a day, i train with her for 5-10 minute intervals 2-3 times a day, we used to play fetch for at least an hour a day (her biting my feet prevents me from even trying to do that in the yard now), we have a lot of enrichment tools for feeding, bully sticks, toys, chews..i can’t imagine there isn’t anything i don’t do to to keep her mentally and physically engaged

@khr she's become a teen-age dog, so go back to puppy basics for a while. most young dogs seem to 'forget' their training for a bit.

most important is to avoid reinforcing wrong behavior. she might think foot-chasing is the most fun new game. what happens if you stand still? what happens if you turn and walk away, ignoring her?

i brought home a 7 month old female this week. ruby thinks that jumping, clawing and nibbling fingers are effective ways of getting attention, so i feel your pain.

@kody I have a feeling and am hoping it’s exactly that: the teenager puppy “forget training and manners, i wanna do what i want!” Phase, thank you!

@khr "when i get shoes on and get to the back door. She locks on to my toes and bites at my shoes."

she doesn't want you to leave without her. she also wants you to 'hurry up' and get to the fun place, the backyard. the scruff thing (domination) won't work, it'll only permit her to get physical in response; really, it's the kind of maneuver you should use in rare occasions (like once or twice in a lifetime).

For us, sectioning off the area with a gate or barrier helps. As in, dogs don't need to be in this spot right now. Having her go to her place is another -- it's the best place to get treats!

@khr Growl instead of yell to tell them their behviour isn't allowed as a yell may be high pitch and sound like a play bark. Don't directly engage them other than to stop them jumping or nipping you until they are in a calm(ish) state and don't reward afterwards. Also this is their teenage phase so good luck and best wishes