Being off leash is not an invitation

rosita_menorca

The other day me and my three-year-old lab were at the park. There were about five dogs there including us. about half off leash, including us, I was in the corner of the field, facing away from the majority of it playing with a flirt pole until a dog rushed my leash, reactive dog (frustrated, greeter) but she’s been doing great recently she’s trusted to be off leash. She doesn’t run up to other dogs or people and is under control. It’s mainly an on leash problem though she’s been getting a lot better recently. Anyways this huge dog ran up to us. They had a face-to-face greeting for like five seconds, and then my dog c recently she’s trusted to be off leash. She doesn’t run up to other dogs or people and is under control. It’s mainly an on leash problem though she’s been getting a lot better recently. Anyways this huge dog ran up to us they had a face-to-face greeting for like five seconds, and then my dog recentred to me. And Dyke was rewarding her as the dog was still there sniffing around and she was choosing to focus on me anyways. 15 minutes later same dog was about to run up to another dog. This one was on leash and the owner called it back. Why the hell didn’t they call it off of us? I’m assuming they thought that because my girl was off leash, they were OK to come up to her or something I don’t get it just cause she’s off off leash doesn’t mean that you can let your dog come up to her without owner permission anyways sorry for the vent it’s just annoying

@rosita_menorca If you’re worried about dogs running up to your dog and regressing training, then don’t take the dog anywhere off leash is allowed

You can’t stop dogs from running up to other dogs. And how would the owners know that your dog uniquely must be left alone in the free off leash space ?

@imagebeastmarkbeast I also understand some dogs are gonna run up to her not everyone that takes their dog off leash has control over the dog even though they should my thing was, this guy had full capability to call his dog back as he did it with the other person, and he chose not to also just mentioning this, isn’t like an off leash dog park it’s right next to a children’s playground

@imagebeastmarkbeast Because it’s common courtesy?? Why would someone let their dog run up to a dog they don’t know what if I was irresponsible and I took her there, but she was aggressive or she was getting over kennel, cough or whatever if you want your dog to go somewhere where they can interact with other dogs take them to a dog park You shouldn’t just assume that they’re fine to say hi

@imagebeastmarkbeast Where? Every park near me there’s off leash dogs which is fine because 98% of them have enough knowledge and respect to not let their dog go up to random people children and dogs because it’s dangerous and rude if this big bully type dog went up to another dog, and the other dog started fighting it. Unfortunately, the huge pitbull mix probably would’ve been blamed because of the stigma around the breed. It’s irresponsible.