Balding spot on snout of dog then slight regrowth of hairs - can hyperthyroidism cause this?

sweetcygnis

My golden retriever has been having gradual hair loss on his snout area since late September (26th of Sept) which I have only realized yesterday upon looking at various pictures. There is no redness, no itching, no smell - just skin and a lack of hair. He does not touch it, feel bothered by it etc. He doesn't eat using a plastic dish either.

I have attached some pictures below. He was diagnosed as hypothyroid on the 19th of September and giving 0.6mg levothyroxine, twice a day. Upon his recheck on the 20th of October, we found out that he was hyperthyroid. The maximum value being 4.0 and my golden having a value of 5.7!! He had lost an incredible amount of weight due to this - 6 pounds in a matter of 2.5 weeks. He is already on Royal Canin HP diet and he has done well on this food since late May. The vet then decided to reduce the dosage to 0.4mg levothyroxine, twice a day and he started this course on the 21st of October.

Since the reduction of thyroid, his stools have been much better and his loss of hairs on his nose has somewhat stopped. He has no other areas of hair loss. Does anyone have any idea about this? His next recheck to ensure that his thyroid levels are stable will be on the 17th of November.

Thank you

19th sept: Best picture I could get 1 day after starting thyroid medication at 0.6mg (which was later readjusted to 0.4mg)

24th of Sept

29th of Sept

9th October

21st October - there was a reduction in thyroid medication which was started this evening

26th October

1st November

Back