Aspiring dog trainer: where to learn more?

bpps

I’m an aspiring dog trainer. I’m in 4-H with my dogs, a green IGP handler (with a very green dog, lol), and working on a couple other sports. Along with being an owner of reactive dogs.

Dogs are my passion and it’s my dream to own/start a dog training and boarding kennel when I graduate HS. I love helping the kiddos in my 4-H club with their dogs, and love helping out my friend’s dogs, and I want to do that. I especially want to help people and their dogs so they get the help I needed with my dogs.

I’d like to say I know a lot, but I don’t. I know some stuff, and I’ve worked a lot with my dogs. But I want to start learning MORE and start getting better and collecting more knowledge and training skills.

Are there any course or places or anything I can do to learn more? I want to start going to Seminars and stuff (not even sure how seminars work or how to find some close to me). I also think I might watch some Fenzi seminars. But, what else can I do? I’d love to take a Karen Pryor course (and a couple others), but not sure if I can since I’m under 18.

I do know of a trainer I was recommended to by my vet, who told me to see if I could be her apprentice, but I’m too afraid to reach out and that she’ll say no (especially since I’m more open minded approach rather than R+ like her).

But, yeah. Where can I start learning more?

Thank you!

@bpps Start with the recommended trainer. You will learn a lot, even if the style isn't what you intend to utilize later.

I ride horses, and I like to take a lesson from my primary instructor weekly - but I also take lessons occasionally from a variety of coaches. Every one of them is trying to help me work toward the next goal, and they all have slightly different approaches - so I think of it like binocular vision - seeing the same goal from two different points of view helps me get a more 3-dimensional view!

Follow the trainer's instructions, and do it her way when you are with her. When you have more opportunities to pursue different instruction from a trainer using a different approach, do it their way when you are with them.

This will help you build a deeper understanding of training and behavior overall, and you can take a little of this and a little of that to develop your own style that works for you.

@deryon I have no problem going with an R+ trainer, R+ is the basis of open minded approach and balanced training (at least it should be to me), I’m just worried that since I do use balanced with my own dogs and believe in the open minded approach that she wouldn’t want me.

But, yes, definitely. I think I might reach out to her.

Thank you!

@bpps When you work under a trainer, do it their way - you are there to learn. You don't always have to agree, but you are the student and they are the teacher. When you are with a different trainer, do it their way - they don't even need to know your opinion or how you would approach a certain goal. Follow the instructions of the trainer you're with; when you're on your own you can take a little of this and a little of that and train your way.

@bpps Call em up and ask! If they are open to it, set a specific date and time and show up. I have so many people want to shadow me at first but then they disappear - sometimes I get burned out and don't even want to start with a new person because they're flaky. If you get to the first meeting, ask to set a specific schedule so they know you plan to show up.

My last apprentices just graduated and left for college, but they're back for winter break and they came right back to the barn to help me vaccinate foals. Those kids have me as a connection for life - and I don't expect them to always do things my way as they mature and establish themselves, but they got a lot out of my instructions, they also study with others who use different methods, and I expect them to take a little of this and a little of that and end up with their own styles. Plus I write them great letters of recommendation.

@bpps Given you are into IGP, I'd start with Canemo Dog and Tobias Oleynik videos. Tobias covers a ton of theory and Canemo are phenomenal trainers and good people. Depending on what your club is like, often they are run by trainers who are also willing to help mentor.

Oh and seminars are great, even to just audit...schutzhund ones you find from your club primarily, or following trainers you admire. Others you generally find the person you are interested in and check their schedule. Local kennel clubs may do seminars too. A lot of people are willing to help oh people in 4H. Also look at AKC schedules and volunteer for knowledge and connections.

@fl269fl269 I’ll check them out.

I think we may have a trainer or two in our club, not sure. I haven’t been in a bit and won’t be able to for a little longer, but when I get back, I’ll ask.

Thanks!

@bpps Since you mentioned PNW, Sarah and Marko (Canemo) are in Southern Oregon. They are running a Xmas sale on their videos right now. In Salem, you have Kevin Schutzhund. In Portland you have Rose City, which has a ton of trainers involved. Huffman K9 is also often recommended in the Portland area. Not sure about Washington, but there are several clubs. If you can get up to Canada, Ralph Gilby would be great go to a seminar or training time. Also, I would not hesitate going to a Janice Gunn seminar or workshop.

A number of igp trainers also do board and train for pet training. They often hire help, which would be great if you found one that has a training style you want to learn as they often teach their help too. For example, Taylormade Working Dogs in California will hire kennel help, but the help also trains ul a schutzhund dog.

Back