Anybody’s ACD, uh, not cuddly or “sweet”?

childofgod6

I have a half ACD(other half has other herding dog in her and some random hodge podge but she definitely looks and behaves like an ACD). She just turned one. Now, I’ll preface this by saying we love her and have no regrets. She’s beautiful and likes to play and has quite the personality.

That said, the other dogs I’ve had in my life were a golden retriever and a lab. I wasn’t prepared for the difference in cuddliness or affection. My ACD mix NEVER cuddles up to us. Sometimes she leans against us or lays down by us, but she isn’t one to come in for pets or nuzzle us or anything like that. She is excited when we come home but doesn’t go crazy like my last dogs did. She clearly likes being with us, but man is she one fiercely independent and strong headed girl. Is this common for the breed?

@childofgod6 Mine is exactly the same, he doesn't "cuddle" but he does have his own way of showing affection. From what I know about the breed, it's common. Mine hates being pet or touched really, he just wants to play with people instead. Sometimes when we are laying on the couch he will come lay next to us, touching one of us, but i don't know the last time he was on me, cuddling me or anything like that. He does also sometimes shove his face into us when we sit down to "cuddle" him lol

@multioffer Mine does this too! She will lay with us, usually has to be under the blanket, but the second we try and cuddle her, she shoves her head in our face or lays on her back spazzing out like a maniac and usually hits one of us with her hard head 😂

@childofgod6 my first heeler was like this. on his terms only… and god forbid if you moved whilst he was in a “cuddly”
mood lol..

my current heeler is a snuggle buddy; i chalk it up to just as people are different, dogs are. not everyone is a cuddler!