Any tips on getting our newly adopted 9mo old ACD (F) to get along with our 4yr old terrier mutt (F)?

esearch

Hi all. New to this sub. We just brought home a 9mo old Blue Heeler, rescuing her from a kinda bad situation (she was shut in a horse stall for 20 hours a day). She's sweet and she learns fast, but now that she's coming out of her shell she seems to be antagonizing our terrier who is, admittedly, kind of a jealous pain in the butt when it comes to our affections. When we try to play or throw the ball, the ACD (Sombra) will bowl over the terrier (Biscuit) which starts a 'fight' (they haven't actually gone at each other but you can tell Biscuit isn't playing with her snarl). Also lately Sombra has been antagonizing Biscuit, running up, crouching down and barking loudly at her. It seems like maybe she's trying to get Biscuit to chase her, but also it feels like a bit of a dominance play.

We're happy to put in the work and we've been watching ACD training videos, but I'd love to hear your experiences with introducing young ACDs to your older dogs.

Thanks!

@esearch I've got a wild one that goes after my village mutt. I always go outside with them and keep my heeler on a 20ft leash. If she doesn't stop when I say leave it ill step on the leash to slow her down and sometimes stop her in her tracks. She is quickly realizing that the full speed chasing isn't the answer.

It seems to help me, yet I'm sure there are better answers out there. best of luck

Back