Any tips for getting my dog to stop peeing when new visitors are over?

olanrelekan

Hello,

I’m posting because my dog (a one year old Bichon) has been driving me a little crazy w/his peeing. I’ve noticed that it usually happens with males. Because it’s holiday season, I’ve had two male family members stay with me a few nights at a time (one separate occasions). I have to have them put all of their items in a separate room because my dog will try to mark on it at some point during their visit. He’s neutered, but I’m not sure what can be causing this behavior. It has never happened with any other dogs I’ve had growing up. He’s house trained, & I only have problems with him peeing indoors when visitors are over. For example, we were all hanging out in the living room, I would walk out & see trails & puddles of pee all over in the next room. Sometimes he’ll also do it in the same room which is bothering me so much because it’s a carpeted area. If we don’t put up their belongings, he’ll pee on their luggage, clothes, etc.

I’m not sure if it’s a fear thing because he’ll play with them, follows them, tries to lay on them & things like that once he warms up (he’s usually weary of people upon meeting). I don’t want to put him in his pen while I’m home with him, but he’s literally peeing allllll over & I’m beginning to get frustrated. Has anyone ever experienced anything like this with their puppy? If so, what worked for you? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

@olanrelekan Put him in his pen. It’s there for a reason - to give you some breathing space and give him a place to unwind (assuming he has the right association with it). Until the problem is resolved or you have a grip of it, use it.

Change the association with visitors, build impulse control around visitors, address the underlying cause of his peeing on their belongings and if necessary teach him right from wrong around that property.

Nobody will be able to tell you for certain what’s causing it without seeing it, but it sounds like excitement over fear (remember dogs emotional states can present different to humans). Perhaps film it if you can and post it here for a bit more clarity?

the only thing two dog trainers will agreed on is that the third one doesn’t know anything.

I hope that helps mate.

Back