Any recommendations for wet food like Science Diet W/D?

christlover330

My dog was recently diagnosed with IVDD and has constipation due to it. He's been on the dry W/D food for a little while and I'm wondering if it might help prevent future bouts of constipation to put him on the wet food. That being said, it's crazy expensive and needs a prescription. Are there any over the counter, less expensive options?

@christlover330 My dogs loved the wet w/d. They make it in a pate and a stew. Maybe try adding your own filler to the wet to make it last longer like extra barley or whatever the grain they use in that recipe. I think there’s also carrot and peas.

@christlover330 We just use their regular adult wet food, I think right now the chicken and barley flavor. The dogs like it and I trust Science Diet. We use it as a supplement, they just get a teaspoon or so mixed in with their dry kibble at mealtimes.

@christlover330 Can you just add water/broth to his kibble, and maybe pumpkin also? I have a dog with bad teeth, and we soak his food for ~15 minutes. Added benefit of getting some more water into them.

Canned Wet food wise, I don't have any suggestions. Good luck!

@sabko He hates water. It was always a problem but with this diagnosis it's causing a lot more issues. And we've tried EVERYTHING. He just hates drinking water and hates when we add it to his food. He didn't use to hate pumpkin or rice either but he's been rejecting it lately too.

@sabko He's...complicated for sure. IVDD complicates him more. He's constipated rn and we're doing everything we can before the vet trip for an enema. I'm sure he would drink broth on it's own, but if I put it in water he won't. He takes a few sips a day on his own so now we have to give him syringes of water and supplement pedialyte through a bottle. He doesn't mind drinking if I bottle feed him.

We have tried: every type of bowl, multiple bowls, separating him with a bowl, bottle feeding; water mixed with: Gatorade, pedialyte, broth, "water enhancers" from petsmart; adding water, Gatorade, pedialyte to his food; currently he's fed blended rice, pumpkin, chicken, and water/gatorade/pedialyte(a splash of whichever depending how desperate) and he hates it. He hates all of it.

Back