Anxious, unsocialized 2.5yo female

claireanneh

I have a 2.5yo mix. I adopted her just a couple of hours after she was born, because her mother had left and rejected her. She hadn't been breastfed, so I assumed she would have immunodeficiencies, and that's where I made the biggest mistake of not socializing her during the first 3mo of her life. Even longer than that. And not only had she practically not seen another dog, I didn't even take her outside, so during her childhood she was constantly barking at people and dogs in the distance at night and at daytime.

So here's what she was suffering from, and what she's still suffering from:
  1. She tended to be aggresivelly protective around other humans and other dogs, unless she trusts them. She's massively improved her ability to give in and risk to trust a person on first sight, and around dogs, most of the time she sniffs them and let's them be around her, she just perceives any play signals as danger and gets aggressive (only when I'm around)
  2. I didn't expose her to everyday noise in the city and it was bothering her the first year, but she improved on that front too. Then this happened. I was walking her, and fireworks started going off right next to her. She immediately starts screaming and running away from it, and I allowed her to anxiously pull me away with her from it, which was also a mistake. Now whenever we're outside, she's constantly noticing and actively on the lookout for e v e r y s i n g l e sudden noise in the distance. And I guess if it reminds her of the fireworks enough, she switches to fight or flight mode, and depending on the intensity, starts whining and trying to lunge and run away back home or to the car.
My biggest problem is the latter one. I'd love some clear instructions on how to approach this problem during a walk, and how I can recognize signs of improvement over the long run. Because it's become impossible for her to walk outside without whining and trying to run back home within 2 minutes of the walk. It's hard for me to take her places outside with me because she just immediately ends up whining and lunging, trying to run back to her safe place.

Any ideas?
Thank you ❤️🐶

@claireanneh Noise sensitivity, IMO, is one of the few things that I always recommend meds as a first line of attack. Why? Because it's so freaking hard to control as a variable. One random sound from a random ass human, or just mother nature and you can set your training back. I'd personally start with meds (talk to your vet), and then work through a normal CC/DS program - I would use something you can control at home, like Youtube to work on this process.

In the mean time, I'd honestly consider fulfilling her mental/physical needs in another manner if possible. I know that's hard, but limiting failure/fallout can be extremely helpful in accelerating the CC/DS process.

I would then work on general confidence building at home - wobbly surfaces, moving surfaces, jumping on things, going under things, backing up, etc. Once that is solid, go outside with it, then work on urban parkour in general, starting in easy environments (think park off peak) and work your way up. I think combining general confidence building, plus meds, plus CC/DS of noise would be the best advice, alongside, if you can afford it, a veterinary behaviorist.

I allowed her to anxiously pull me away with her from it, which was also a mistake.

For the record, when dogs, or humans are in fight/flight mode, or running purely on fear, they're not in a position to be learning. Getting out of dodge was absolutely the right call.

@claireanneh Firstly you did NOT do the wrong thing by letting her get the heck out of dodge when she was terrified. Do not let anyone tell you otherwise. Dogs in full panic, just like other animals are not thinking at that time of anything other than they are going to die. You CANNOT reinforce fear by reducing the fearful stimulus or by seeking safety or comforting your dog.

Secondly, she is definitely at a disadvantage given her lack of secure attachment as a neonate and further limited socialization during her socialization period, but it is what it is.
Now the plan needs to be what can you do to reduce her severe sound phobia.

Best version is a veterinary behaviourist.
Second is a team of a qualified behaviour consultant and a vet knowledgeable with medication to help determine is medication is of benefit and to make a desensitization and counter conditioning plan.

@claireanneh I would bet $100 she’s not the only one looking around anxious for any little thing that can set her off - I’ll bet you are unconsciously doing it too! Dogs read our emotions very well. If you act like something is a big deal - she’s going to believe you.