Anxious-Reactive Dog with Increasing anxiety related to our apartment

pcmedbasm

I just don't know what to do and the vet (who has been such a huge help in behavioral assessment and finding the right training and medication for my boy) also doesn't know quite what to do....There are no changes that I can sense myself, and I personally with my human senses hardly perceive our neighbors in anyway. And he is not exhibiting this anxiety anywhere else.

We recently moved into a new apartment building (we have lived in apartments before and a house) and for the first month my boy was so calm and at ease in the building and in the apartment itself that I was actually surprised by how at ease he was. It was so great! Part of the picture as well - he did have this reaction in an apartment a few years ago. We had lived there for 1.5 years with no problem and then out of nowhere he couldn't be in the apartment without severe anxiety, everything described below and worse).

About two weeks ago he started having intense anxiety at night when we would come back in from our last walk he would try everything he could to avoid the doors (pulling me in other directions to keep walking, standing still and resisting moving even in the middle of the street), and gets increasingly more anxious as we get closer to the apartment. Once inside he is panting, pacing, drooling, whining, and running all around the apartment very worried then he'll scratch at the door. He can not be calmed for at least 30-60 minutes and then once he's asleep it's ok. In the past week, however, it is EVERY TIME we go out of the building and come back inside.

I have tried (which have made no noticeable impact, and in fact it is increasing in severity):

- highest value treats with nosegames (he's a hound and this drive is high for him generally, and he never plays with other toys or things)

- celebrating coming back inside and trying to make it a fun thing with things he likes and praise

- reactivity training in the common areas, on the route back to the apartment, and in the apartment

- gabapentin

- thunderjacket

- holding him (sometimes this is the trick in other scenarios when he just needs a little soothing and a change of action)

- more exercise (thinking maybe he is getting less as we moved from having a yard to no yard)

- more doggie socializing in the day

I'm wondering about things like, L-theanine, melatonin, CBD and the like...we tried those years ago before meds and it didn't work for reduction in general anxiety or separation anxiety (he has taken fluoxetine and gabapentin for three years now and it made a huge difference in his life and ability to enjoy it and to train!), but maybe now that he is usually less anxious overall?? I would really not like to resort to needing to add some sort of higher medication :(

I am coming here for any advise on this specific type of anxiety - have you had this experience with your pup? Do you have experience with L-theanine, melatonin, or CBD? If so, what brands etc?

TL:DR - dog exhibiting anxiety related specifically to their home with human troubleshooting with source of anxiety and ways to soothe to no avail........any advice for this specific anxiety?

@pcmedbasm I understand not wanting to go to more or higher dosage of medication, but sometimes it is the best thing for them. The vets will never give them something they couldn’t handle and you can always stop the meds (much easier said than done as I’m supposed to be doubling dosage & giving lorazepam to my pup anytime he’s going to be having a stressful day!) From my understanding, the medication is there to make your dog’s brain calm enough so they can learn from the training you’re doing. My dog is on propranolol to try to decrease his panicking and it’s historically used for PTSD. We also switched from fluoxetine to sertraline because from my understanding sertraline increases dopamine which can help elevate mood and motivation.

Just some things to maybe talk to your vet about!

@elisha_buffet Thank you for your response. I do want what is best for him. I just don't want him to be sedated in order to not be experiencing this level of anxiety. We worked so hard to find the meds that work for his generalized anxiety and it has improved his life so much, I am so grateful for the meds. I just worry about his quality of life if he either a) cannot get the help he needs or b) has to be sedated to be at home......I feel a bit helpless but I have reached out again to his vet for more advice and I am awaiting response.

@pcmedbasm A professional behaviorist can provide guidance on systematic desensitization and counterconditioning techniques specific to your dog's anxiety triggers within the apartment environment. Continue to provide mental stimulation and enrichment for your dog, as this can help reduce overall anxiety. Puzzle toys, scent work games, and interactive feeders can engage his mind. Consider creating a safe and comfortable space within your apartment where your dog can retreat when feeling anxious. A cozy den-like area can help him feel secure.