Anxious dog?

lightacandle

I have 3 dogs. My chihuahua (W) and pit mix (C) have been together forever and are best friends. W will stand on the couch while C stands on the floor and they will play this way. Recently we got custody of my partner’s grandmother’s dog. It was supposed to be on a temporary basis. But that was 3 months ago and it looks like she’s here to stay. She is a yorkie (L). She has terrible anxiety (worse than W). Constantly licking everything. And if she can’t lick us she starts licking W.

The problem is that C is very vocal when she is playing (growling). This, I guess, causes L to be greatly distressed and she starts to act aggressively towards C (barking, growling, nipping). At base line L doesn’t much care for C. If C comes over to the couch while L is sitting in my lap, L will growl at C if she gets to close. L is not like this with W. W and L play all the time. My guess is that C’s size is intimidating.

L is incredibly submissive. Walks away from her food bowl if either of the other dogs or even the cat walk near her.
I know it can take time for a dog to adjust. But we’ve had her since late August.

I’m not sure how to handle the aggressive behavior toward C.
If it’s late, I make C stop playing because we have neighbors. But now C is getting the zoomies because I can’t play with her. And C is very loud during the zoomies so L is acting out then too.
I’ll probably end up medicating L. But is there anything else I can do to desensitize her to C?

@lightacandle If the initial introduction between them wasn't gradual, consider reintroducing them in a controlled and positive manner. Use treats and positive reinforcement to associate their interactions with good things.Always supervise their interactions, especially during play.Designate separate play spaces for each dog to avoid conflicts. This can help alleviate stress and reduce the likelihood of aggressive behaviors.https://soothedtails.com/