Almost 3 y/o Poodle/BC = Herding w/Nipping-Biting NONSTOP

pgardner2358

Desperate for guidance. We got a male puppy, poodle-border collie mix 2.5 yrs ago. Mom and dad are working farm dogs. We live in town w/a lg, fenced backyard, which is good because he is large....and turns out, in complete charge.

Over time, I've taken him to three different trainers for weekly sessions. In the beginning, the training was for learning basic commands/rules. It became apparent that he a had a very strong herding instinct - which included nipping, biting, and jumping. We've worked and worked and worked. His behavior and or my capacity for knowledge as it relates here, hasn't improved, AND he's quite big now at 60+ pounds.

My kids love him but are afraid of him, beyond feeding and watering him daily. I spend the most time with him, but w/o continuous food rewards, he attempts to, well, herd and control me.
He will be calm and seems to enjoy sitting w/us inside for (only) several minutes, which is the absolute best. That's the limit, though. Walking was going great, for a while. Now, randomly during our neighborhood outings (short to long), he will stop and begin to jump up and nip at me....but not all the time.

He is crate trained and follows basic commands (w/reward), e.g. sit, lay down, stay. He is a fantastic guard dog, very attuned to who is near us and our home.

I've always had dogs...some smaller and some around the same size w/wonderful outcomes. I was remiss in not considering that this working-dog combo might be more than I could properly care for. I've never had an experience like this and I am at my wits end. I am doing a disservice to my family and our smart, loyal pup by not figuring this out.

Helpful advise is appreciated.