Age for spaying?

akd

I have usually waited until one heat cycle before spaying my dogs, but I’m struggling with the decision this time.

My Aussie/Heeler mix was born March 18 last year. Our local spay and neuter clinic has been SWAMPED the last few years. They book 2 months out, but for months I’ve checked the website periodically and not found any appointments available.

I figured it was time to start checking every day, thinking if I find an appointment now she would be 1 year when the appointment took place, and who knows how long it would take to actually get something.

Well, there was ONE appointment. Must have been a cancellation because it is for January 30 So that will put her at 10.5 months old. I went ahead and booked it but I’m worried that it’s too early. Frankly I didn’t really think I’d find anything before summer.

Do I keep the appointment or let it go and watch for one later?

@akd My aussie was spayed at 3 months (12 years ago) and has had no problems we can identify. My brother's aussie was spayed at 9 months and has developed normally. I've spoken to a few vets about my youngest (ACD x aussie) and it sounds like the BEST option is to have a special vet who specializes in the surgery remove the uterus and keep the ovaries. That being said, very few vets perform this kind if surgery and the surgery may not be affordable anyway! Other vets say to spay before the first heat to avoid the hormonal surge and avoid the discomfort of going through a heat.

Spay and neuter clinics in my area are super booked too. If a spot opened up for a spay at 10 months old I'd take it - before of after first heat.

Back