[ADVICE] What age did your dog stop chewing at everything??

jingo

For context: my ACD x German Shepherd mix is 8 months (almost 9) and has been with us since he was 5 months old. He was born on a farm then came to live in the suburbs 😂

Is there anything that can get him to stop getting into things? Or do they just grow out of the habit?

@jingo You’re prime in the middle of the mouthy monster phase. Try redirecting to mouth on something appropriate. You’ve got a solid few months left of these shenanigans.

@jingo As I commented on another ACD post I have never had an issue with chewing. Twice with my current male but both times he was insane in the membrane because I wouldn't let him make puppies. These are smart dogs. Your mix I imagine is very smart. As a general rule they chew past their teething phase because they are bored. Activity, a variety of appropriate things for them to chew like frozen shin bones, kongs with peanut butter inside, a herding ball, frequent activity, discipline drills like a treat on the nose or other tricks to keep their minds occupied, engagement that keeps them engaged with you. Chewing gets them attention too. They chew something and you engage. You might scold or stop what you are doing to clean up and they are getting attention. The dog doesn't care if you are mad....just that you are engaged with him.

@jingo Once I could understood what triggered it, I could manage it. My boy is 3 in a few weeks and loves to chew but it’s directed. I make sure he has toys and chews to manage it. Try Himalayan Yaks milk chews. Also, try not to set up for failure. Just make available items that he’s got permission to chew and reward him with attention or time when he chooses these over your furniture. I don’t think there is an age where they grow out of it. It’s about us understanding the why.

@jingo I have a ACD mix. We have designated chew toys and she knows she’s allowed to chew only those toys. We used the bitter sprays for things we don’t want her to chew. It takes A LOT of reapplying, I used a whole bottle before she got the hint. She was about 10 months when she stopped trying to chew everything and us. She’s 2 now. I have heard that it’s around 9-12 months for ACDs that they grow out of the crazy biting phase if you are keeping them mentally simulated.

Back