Advice on my dog’s coat and nails, he’s very afraid of going to the groomers

christinme11

Hank Photos

We adopted Hank 7 months ago and he came with a matted and dirty coat. He was terrified of brushes and nail clippers off the bat. His first (with us) trip to a groomer did not go well. We were going to get his nails and teeth done but I believe the groomer was only able to clip a duclaw (which bled) and got a few hits on his nails with a grinder.

We have been able to give him a bath since we adopted him. We use a shampoo and conditioner and bathe him once a month. He is pretty good about baths.

A few months ago, I was able to sit on the couch with him for about 4 nights (separate sessions) and pull apart/out all his matted fur. It took so many hours, but he finally did not have any icky knots and seemed to tolerate it well. After the knots were gone, I used a Fulminator brush on him. I was aiming to get rid of all the fuzzy frayed hair left from the matting, but I fear I should have not done this after reading other posts on this subreddit.

Since then I started very slowly introducing the brush with praise and treats. I have been using a human "Wet" brush. I thought it would be a good start since it is so soft. I now brush him very regularly with the Wet brush to keep his fur from matting. Any advice on brushes that would be better suited to Hank’s coat are welcome. I have looked at all the suggestion posts but am struggling to know what would be best for his type of fur.

We have been working on getting him used to the nail clippers next. I picked up the orange handle Miller’s Forge nail clippers and have been able to clip one nail (which seemed like a huge milestone). He has awfully long duclaws and I am kind of struggling to tell where the quick is on them.

I also am concerned about the hair in front of his eyes and his beard, but do not know how to go about cutting it myself. I have a pair of blunt tipped shears but would like advice on how to eventually go about this.

I am just trying to do right by my dog and keep him well-groomed at home for now since he did so poorly at the groomer’s last time. Hopefully, once he is better trained and less anxious, we can revisit going to see a professional.

Additional Info: Hank will be turning 2 in January and currently cannot take sedatives because of liver issues, seizures, and probable heartworm infection (which is a whole other post).

TLDR: Adopted, almost 2 yo, dog is fearful of all grooming, got matted fur off, used a Furminator (bad, I know), would like advice on maintaining coat and trimming eye/beard hair. Advice on clipping giant hard nails also welcome.

1. Hank when we adopted him

2. Hank after a few baths and a lot of love but before brushing/dematting

3. Hank after the dematting and Furminator use

4. Current photo of Hank's profile

5. Current photo of Hank's face

6. Current photo of Hank enjoying Fall

7. Current photo of Hank lying down

8. Duclaw of shame

9. Unclipped toenail

10. Another unclipped toe nail

@christinme11 (Coming from a previous bather / someone whose worked with dogs for a year-ish)

It looks like you've done a pretty good home job of getting that coat to be a lot healthier! For his dewclaws- we actually used cat clippers on curled ones like those! Less noticeable for the dog and they don't feel as much metal against the skin. His non-dews look pretty good! I would just file them/buff them if you're worried about scratching. I've seen a lot of DOG scratching posts around, for those with dogs who love to dig. It can also be a fun engagement activity for them!

I'm not sure about the solidity of my advice for clipping, as that wasn't my job, but what I do is (I have a westie with a similar fur facial shape that blocks the eyes) essentially trim a rhombus shape, with it sloping inwards near the eyes. See this amazing visual aid LOL.

I hope I could provide some kind of help!

(ps, hank has beautiful eyes!

@submission Thank you so much for replying, the photo of the dog face is super helpful! For the duclaw do you think the dark part is all quick? I have stypic powder but I’m terrified to hurt him.

@christinme11 Hey! I am a dog groomer. First of all I want to thank you for taking care of your fury friend and having his BEST interest. So I just wanted to start off by saying thank you and I know your dog appreciates it. Next I’d like to let you know you’re doing everything right in my opinion! Nails and everything look good. Maybe one nail at a time at night with some reassurance! And the video link provided above is a great source! Also, with the nails and possibly quicking your pup. In reality, if you go way too far yes it hurts them. But if you get just a little too close once and there’s a tiny bit of blood just know it’s okay! A little quick stop will do the trick! Also if your dog is up to it I do have some advice. In my salon I’m known for calming anxious dogs. Every groomer has their own thing and mine happens to me Asian fusion cuts and dogs with anxiety. Call around to your groomers! Ask if they have a specific groomer that specializes or is really great with anxious dogs. Call ahead before going in and just bring him in to meet him/her! Have the groomer give Hank a treat and be on your way! Have the first visit be a positive one while you continue to groom from home! Any grooming salon will understand and if they don’t it’s not the salon for you and your lovely man ☺️ I hope some of this made sense. Goodluck and happy parenting!

Back