Advice on a mixed breed

devarim64

Hi guys! I have a Maltipoo of 11 months. She got her first cycle 6 months in and I want her to have puppies. How long do you guys recommend for her to have puppies? Also my neighbor has a Pomapoo. So it would be a Maltipoo+Pomapoo mix. Would you guys recommend this mix?

@devarim64 I'm going to be very blunt here.

Why does she need puppies? She's just a crossbred dog, she does not adhere to any breed standard, and she has no papers. She may be a lovely dog for you, but she has nothing to offer in the gene pool and is just a crossbred dog of unknown origins with no health testing. You know nothing about ethical breeding, health testing, pedigee lines or anything about whelping a litter of puppies. Your neighbours dogs is a crossbred, no health testing, and has nothing to offer the gene pool. Neither of you know anything about ethical and responsible dog breeding.

Desex your dog, and love her, and she will probably be the best thing in your world, and you'l think she is the best dog ever. But don't become a backyard breeder and risk the health of your beloved animal just for the sake of breeding crossbred puppies with no health testing or background.

@girlingrace Thanks for your response. I have done multiple health tests and have all her papers as well, as well as her mothers papers and dads papers! :) her origins are known as well. And she is 100% healthy. I don’t plan on ever becoming a breeder, I just wanted her to have a single litter to give to my family (grandmother, mom, my neighbor and best friend). As I’ve read from the comments now I know not to mix them. I did read it is safe (significantly reduces health problems) to have a 2nd Gen Maltipoo as long a both the male and female dogs have 0 issues.

https://preview.redd.it/2ra3zy0i7bg...bp&s=2c8ed9adbd85d39cb010a95d6d7696e2c8a125db

@devarim64 That's not proper health testing, that's a vet check.

Proper health testing for Maltese includes:
  • Patella Evaluation
  • Serum Bile Acids
  • Cardiac Exam
Proper health testing for poodles includes:
  • Patella Evaluation
  • Hip Evaluation
  • Ophthalmologist Evaluation
  • Progressive Retinal Atrophy, Rod-Cone Dysplasia 4 (PRA-rcd4) - DNA Test
  • Progressive Retinal Atrophy, PRCD (PRA-prcd, PRCD) - DNA Test
  • Von Willebrand Disease I (VWDI) - DNA Test
And that's just the testing for your dog.

Blending breeds does not magically reduce health (or behavior) issues. Dogs can inherit bad traits from each of their constituent breeds.

There's also this excellent write-up to consider, if you care about your dog's and potential puppies' wellbeing:

So you want to be a breeder...

@ezimum Thanks so much for your response! I just finished reading that write up and wow that’s terrifying. I the only reason I have considered her having puppies is because she’s extremely loving with other puppies, and my family wanted puppies. I’m considering getting her neutered now and letting everyone’s hopes down as easy as I can by explaining this. I care about my baby too much for anything drastic to happen to her.

https://preview.redd.it/ivckcji5gbg...bp&s=883160581a148944e85f152ec945fd3841d3891a