Advice needed, for an adopted Australian Cattle Dog

church1

I adopted an Australian Cattle dog a few weeks ago, she’s two years old and the sweetest thing on the planet- to me and my other dog. (My dad brought her home so I wouldn’t get a cat, it’s a long story. But he got an ACD without doing any research)

Since we got her she’s been barking at my partner and my dad every time they stand up (they’re both over 6’0), and from the very beginning she has shown signs of having been abused by a previous owner. I’d like to note that I’ve always had dogs, and all my dogs have been rescues, and they all have had their own issues, but I’ve always gotten them at a much younger age, and ACD’s seem to be their own special breed- do any seasoned owners have any advice in getting her trust. She trusts me the liar out of everyone, but it’s people like my dad and my partner that I want to her be comfortable around.

Even though I feel out of my depth here, rehoming her is NOT an option- she had already been returned to the shelter because she was too closed off. I just want to know how to help her.

Also is it normal for ACD’s to breath super fast?

@church1 Have two rescued red acd’s. It took close to two years to totally gain their trust. They’re smart but seem to have long memories. Just be consistent and patient. Have your dad do preferred activities with them, walks, fetch, whatever they like to do. This is my third set of heeler rescues, all had some issue but all were worth it in the end. They’re a special breed.

@church1 The quickest way to gain an ACD’s trust is with treats.

Have your partner and your dad each participate in a scheduled treat time. These dogs are super smart and will start to remind them that it’s treat time.

Also, throw the ball in the house. They don’t even have to throw it very far. Just give the dog a reason to involve them.

They need positive interaction with the dog. Play time and treat time gets you there the fastest.

Dogs breathing and heart rate are joined. The faster they breathe, the faster their heart beats. Fear and anticipation can increase their breathing. Sedentary (sleeping) breathing shouldn’t be fast. Also, panting cools them down.

If you need anymore help, private message me.

@church1 We got our ACD as a 8 wk puppy without a concern for abuse and she is also very anxious around tall males, barking at them anytime they move around or get up from a chair. We have them give her treats and she might bark initially still but she warms up to them eventually. Though new tall male visitors still get barked at haha I just want to mention because it might not be abuse situation...could just be a quirk of our ACDs

@church1 It takes a long time. I moved into a new home with my aunt and her bf and it took my dog close to six months to warm up to them, if not longer. If they go on walks with you or engage in play with the dog it will help. But def don’t have them excessively approaching her or in her space. Also I’ve had my ACD since he was born and he’s had a very loving and comfortable life. They just don’t trust people easily. Especially tall people. No I’m kidding on that lol. Maybe men though. Mine def prefers women or more like gentle spirits.

I just mention the comfy life cuz with cattle dogs they just generally behave like that and it may have nothing to do with abuse. I do have people ask me if my dog was a rescue sometimes but not people who get cattle dogs.

Back