Advice for cat teasing my ACD?

chicagocgcet

I have a 6 month old heeler who we’ve had since 8 weeks. Recently my siblings’ s.o. moved in with her cat. This happened while we were on vacation for 2 weeks with my pup, so when we returned the cat had been at home for a while.

My pup hadn’t really been exposed to cats before this, so we’ve been training her to be calm and not really approach the cat. At first we kept them separate, but it’s been difficult as now the cat has the run of the house and my pup will either have to be in the room with me and the door closed or be under constant supervision.

When we do come out of the room, my pup will ignore the cat at first, but the cat will get up and start to follow my pup, and as soon as she turns around to smell the cat, they’ll sniff each other calmly and then it’ll hiss and scratch at my dog but not run away. My dog doesn’t really know what to do when this happens and will start whining which seems kind of like an anxious whine. The cat has a past of being attacked by a dog, so I’m not sure if this behaviour is territorial or curiosity about my dog.

Any advice on how to ease this tension or will it just take time for them to get used to each other? My dog is never aggressive towards the cat, but I don’t like seeing her get anxious. Thanks a ton!

@chicagocgcet Sounds like the cat is being territorial and trying to establish who is in charge, the pup doesnt care because as far as ACD's go, there can be only one, them. If you discourage the dog from chasing the cat, the cat will calm down and pup will just go about its business.

Question is the cat declawed? if so let the cat swat at the pup, usually the pup will react and the cat will retreat to someplace safe. Can be entertaining for the zoomies time. As long as the pup doesnt try to damage the cat they will eventually figure it out. Good opportunity to train leave it to the pup as well. If the cat squares off to the pup, give her him a leave it and the pup should turn and walk away. Deescalate.

@mohitraletta The cat is not declawed but most of the time her swats don’t seem like she’s really bringing her claws out if that makes sense, kinda just like punches. She also won’t retreat she’ll jump on a chair or stay very close to the dog, when she has lots of higher places right next to her.

Thank you for your advice!

@chicagocgcet I think a bit more time and it will work out. The cat is probably being a bit territorial, but will eventually get used to the dog. I have a grumpy cat and a young ACD mix, and for the first few months I would regularly give them both high value treats near eachother, not uncomfortably close just in the same room, and that seemed to help a lot over time. My cat is still a jerk sometimes (may swat the dog if she barks a lot or is having zoomies inside) and my otherwise super brave and confident dog is a bit cowardly towards the cat 🤣 at the end of the day the dog could do way more damage to the cat than vice versa. So I think patience and creating positive, safe experiences for them both will help!!!

Back