Advice/ Experience from Allergy Prone Dog Owners- How can I help manage my 2.5 y/o GR’s environmental allergies?

daddysgyrl

My 2.5 year old golden retriever has always had some skin problems since he was younger. It manifested in scaly rashes, chronic ear infections, multiple hot spots (some at the same time), & an overall very itchy pup.

I’ve consulted + done tests (ie elimination diets) w/ my GP vet & an animal dermatologist that she recommended & they’ve both come to the consensus that the allergies are not food related, but environmental. They told me allergies are relatively common for all dogs & that chronic ear infections are especially common for goldens or other floppy eared breeds. My golden regularly gets groomed, uses my vet prescribed shampoo for his allergies, ear cleanings as directed w/ the compounded solutions, etc., but I wanted to see if any other owners have experienced something similar w/ environmental allergies & if so, how did you help to manage symptoms?

I want to continue to do everything the vet & derm have recommended, especially since it’s helped tremendously, but feel horrible that once bath time nears or it’s a few days after his last ear cleaning, that he gets so itchy :( I wish I could suction every speck of dust & grass (some of the irritants for my pup) to help, but unfortunately it’s not realistic.

Is there anything tool wise, supplements wise, routine, gadgets, etc. that you’ve experienced helps w/ your dog’s environmental allergies?

@matthewilyg My golden gets a cytopoint every 4-6 weeks pending on the season (summer months are definitely worse). I’ve never tried Apoquel though- what was the experience of that for your dog?

@daddysgyrl Have you tried any meds? Benadryl, Zyrtec, and Claritin can be used for dogs, and there's also apoquel/cytopoint which are prescription only. Also, it can be costly but if meds don't help you can look into allergy testing and immunotherapy.

Back