Advice: Dryer for Standard Poodle

finch09

My 18 y/o daughter just got a service dog--standard poodle. We were told that we need to groom her every 4 weeks and due to expense we have decided to do the grooming ourselves. She will be a college student so she won't have a ton of time to dry the dog so I am looking of reliable high velocity dryer. I'm also looking for one that is somewhat quiet. What brand/model do you suggest?

I looked at another thread and the flying pig high velocity drying was recommended...but there were some reviews that said it was loud (and not actually quiet as the mentioned on reddit). I also considered the EZ-Dry 1 (but it does not seem as powerful as the flying pig)--there is the EZ-Dry III but then it starts to get super pricey (but I'm willing to spend the money if it's worth it). I also considered the Master Blaster MB-3 and MB-3V.

At this point, I'm very confused and just want to hear the opinion of groomers that have used these dryers (or others) and can make a recommendation for me!! Thank you in advance!!

@finch09 You cannot have a true functioning HV dryer and have it be quiet. Flying pig is great. Get a happy hoodie for the pup and ear plugs for you and your daughter.

@imagebeastmarkbeast take off the nozzle so the air isn't quite as loud/powerful, personally. dry them all in the same direction, too, i.e. just from above, or just from behind. keeps hair from tangling. never blow directly into the front of the nose/mouth/ eyes.

@soul_salvation Piggybacking off of this to say you can also hold the ear from underneath in the way that your hand covers the ear canal and let's you dry the ear from the exterior side without worrying about blowing air inside.

@kerkenat Hey just running into this comment. Which Shernbao would you recommend? I'm looking at the 6.0HP (400 CAD) or the 5.0HP (Super Cyclone)for 200 CAD? is it worth double the cost?

@finch09 I use the shelandy. It takes less than 30 minutes to dry my long coated standard, however I’m 20 years into grooming so it will probably take you longer but it’s an inexpensive hearty light weight dryer

@finch09 as others mentioned a dog dryer is not going to be quite, but they are definitely important for home grooming either the shernbao super cyclone or the flying pig are both good options with variable speed/heat and they each have the option you can buy a stand dryer attachment. If she doesn't have a lot of time to dry best to keep the coat relatively short simple clip like sport clip or miami I wouldn't go over an inch more like 1/2 inch plus if the dog is a service dog the harness can cause friction matting with the longer hair. I do different styles with Buddy , but when hes on the bit longer side it can easily be an hr to 1.5 hr drying time pic of Buddy
If your on Facebook the group's poodle grooming assistant or Poodle Grooming tips help and ideas are both great options for advice and help with learning to home groom

Back