active/sport wet food options

rubberrodent

I’m on the fence with trying out new food for my 25lb terrier mix. He’s very active - runs for about 1.5 hours in the morning (I do about 4-5 miles and I could say he easily doubles that; he likes to hunt squirrels and occasional rat 😵‍💫 so he’s full sprint most of the time lol) and about 1 hour in the afternoon.

He seems more active now. I went up by 100calories with his food last month hoping he would gain a little weight and it didn’t do much (320 to 420). I don’t think he’s too thin but I worry since the weather is nicer now and he’s going to be even more active. He was on the same food/amount for >year

I was either going to increase his current food again but also read that “sport/active” dog food may help with weight and also recovery

Are there sport/active wet food options other than PPP sport? He has not done well in the past with kibble (GI upset mostly, toxic farts/loose and inconsistent stools) so was hoping to try him on wet food first before trying kibble again

Any thoughts would be helpful thanks!!

@rubberrodent I'm not aware of any sport/performance canned options other than Pro Plan (at least not any that meet WSAVA standards). But Royal Canin Beauty (budget-buster option) and Purina One Beef & Brown Rice Classic Ground (budget-friendly option) have very similar calories to the Pro Plan wet food, so might at least help on that front.

@rubberrodent My apologies, the 30/20 is kibble BUT Purina does have a sport version of wet food, its 10/7. I could have sworn the Eukanbuna had a wet version of their performance line but I just checked and can't find it.

Royal Canin does have an Rx food for moderate calories but not sure if you want to go the rx route. Majority of the sport lines of wet food aren't from the WASAVA brands.

@rendayen3 Would you be able to share the other sport lines of wet food that aren’t WSAVA? Or a good subreddit to join. I’ve been doing some reading and Inukshuk comes up a bunch but it’s also kibble only.

@rubberrodent The sports brands that I have found with wet food have about the same number of Cals are PPP sport buy I've found a few that have high calorie wet food. Victor has wet that is like 448 kcals per cup. Blue Buffalo wet is 471 kcal per cup. Instinct Original wet is 536 kcal per cup and those are the highest calorie ones I have been able to find.

What brand is he currently on?

Back