ACD rescue and intro to new baby?

lisarebecca

This is my fella Stitch w/ his sister Lilo (lab mix).(they get along amazing) We rescued him in July (transplanted from Texas to NY) he sat in a shelter from approx. Feb till May with tick borne illness' from Texas then was able to be adopted in end of May..we found him in July -he is 3 years old. He is a doll, we have repeatedly wondered why he ended up in rescue. He is typical ACD (DNA 100% ACD) active/crazy which we love (I have always had Jack Russells which is another kind of crazy). We go to training/swimming but slowly I have noted he has become dog reactive as he is more comfortable with us and protective of me.

Last week my son's family came to visit for the holidays..with their 4 week old baby. Before any introductions, he was in his crate heard the baby cry once and went ballistic. We kept him separate the entire visit, let him smell the empty car seat but when the baby was around I made sure to keep him crated as I did not trust. When near other dogs he has a way of seeming totally cool and collected then explodes with a quick jump bite (not a nip) so I kept him away from the baby.

Suggestions? Guidance? As I am new to ACD's what has been other ACD savy peoples experience?

I am considering getting a doll and using my phone with baby crying to desensitize him as a start...There will be more babies in our future as the rest of my kids move on in life, and rehoming is not a consideration as the baby does not live with us, and I can crate if necessary for visits if that ends up being the situation.

Sorry for the long winded but felt a full background of what I know might help any info. Thanks in advance!!

https://preview.redd.it/7mkwol3yo8a...bp&s=34d2f599d7e1d81d62192389b14657fc5454c027

https://preview.redd.it/4nye2j3yo8a...bp&s=0bea8c808b8bb8147e6a159510619b91042086d6

https://preview.redd.it/n0ozbq3yo8a...bp&s=896cbbf3a8937495cb20b3e8c8a637538c0987bf

@lisarebecca Find a good trainer who can work with you one on one so that you can reach out and chat about individual instances as they arrive. I'm not a professional trainer, but have assisted professional trainers over the years.

I think one of the best things you can invest in is a good, comfortable muzzle. I know they give off an ick feeling a lot of the time for the people, but they allow you to be calm, and that will help the dog so much. (Quick note: take the time to look into how to properly introduce the dog to a muzzle.) In my experience, most reactivity is anxiety or fear-based, even when the dog looks like it is aggressing. People often go to punishments or even shock collars, and the dog will frequently associate punishment, your anger, or the shock with the same thing that was already upsetting them - so a really good starting point for this type of training is that the goal is to make the dog not only comfortable, but at a point where they maybe even enjoy the thing that used to upset them (think praise, treats, happy experience).

There is so much more. A couple super-over-simplified tips to start with: 1) give the dog an escape option in situations that you know may upset the dog. Teach the dog that it has the right to leave the situation/dog/baby if it doesn't like it.
2) I personally have seen punishment work for certain issues (this is a big controversy in current training - I will stay largely out of that) but I have NEVER seen punishment work for reactivity. Ever.

Best of luck! A good trainer is definitely a worthwhile investment. I would check that it is a positive reinforcement trainer in this situation especially. If you are uncomfortable with the trainer, don't hesitate to quit, and quit early - find a better match. Stand up for your dog if something isn't working or you may end up having more work to undo additional issues.

Oh man, I'm being chatty - but I do have a 7 year old ACD, and have worked with quite a few. They're my favorite. They are not uncommonly surrendered. A lot of people think they are a funny looking Labrador, and they are not. When I talk to people considering one, I usually suggest that it's a dog for when you want a dog in your life 24/7. Especially the first couple of years, while they are learning the house rules. They really are incredibly smart dogs (I am sure you'll have the experience where you'll wonder how in the world your pup figured that out?!) They can be obstinate too. With all dog training it is a long-game. It takes a lot of time and consistency, but if you can make them comfortable, most ACD's will aim to please. It's up to you to communicate what you want. They are high energy dogs - this is something else I see some "trainers" pushing back on lately, but a regular, serious exercise routine really seemed to make a difference for my ACD. Especially when he was young, we started most days with a 3-mile walk and a stop for fetch in the middle. He usually chased the mountain bike in the afternoons after work for a few more miles. If we missed a string of days, he'd let me know. Not to toot my own horn or to say you have to do the exact same thing, but to share my experience and give you some data.

The real reason I actually went to type this second response is that the baby noises desensitization is a great idea, but the doll probably won't do you any good. Dogs use smell as much as sight and the plastic doll will almost certainly not translate when the baby is introduced. I'd work on comfort around people. Then maybe the baby in the room, but in a place not accessible to the dog. Maybe have the dog closed off on the other side of a gated doorway or in a gated section of the room with a bed/comfort items/kong/ whatever you need to make it a good experience.

Again, good luck! Hope this absurdly long comment offers some help or comfort. If you're up for the work, they're absolutely wonderful dogs, and it sounds like yours is lucky to have someone like you!

@freds I agree 100% about the right trainer. Having and breeding Jack Russells and being active in dog trials, I have seen negative reinforcement by some turn into a nightmare for dog and owner-not fair for the dog. This type of active working breed needs outlets to allow their energy to positively be used up. I think my concern is this is a new unknown breed for me, I don't know his past considering we rescued him at approx 3 yrs old and was not sure if this is regular behavior for a cattle dog and what my expectations should be. He is amazing and we are loving him so I would love harmony! Thanks for your insights.

Back