Accidentally yelled and screamed at my 9 week old puppy, she’s scared of me now. How do I fix this?

kristajunee

By accidentally, I mean she was playing rough and bit me to where it actually hurt. I have a very low pain tolerance and screamed and yelled because of how bad it hurt. I wasn’t trying to scream or yell at her, I wasn’t trying to get mad at her, but now she’s scared of me. I have never been like this around her before so it’s not a repeated thing so I have no idea why she’s so scared of me.

@kristajunee She is still building the relationship with you. Setbacks happen. Try to rebuild the trust, make the association with you mean good things (treats, play with toys, meal time)

@kristajunee Just go slow, give her space. 9 weeks is right in the middle of the first fear period so this is very unfortunate, but she will get over it if you a) respect her need for space and don't push interactions with her and b) never do it again. Toss some treats to her, but don't stare or encroach on her space now. Let her decide when she feels safe again - she will soon enough, puppies are forgiving.

Some tips to keep it from happening again:
  • Minimize your triggers. If you're sensitive to pain, wear protective clothing. If you're noise sensitive, hearing protection. If it's a behaviour she does, manage the environment so she can't do it.
  • Be mindful of your headspace. Every day we start with so much patience, and at a certain point we start running out. Keep an eye on how you're doing mentally, if you're reaching the end of your rope, make a plan to contain her safely (ie put her in her playpen or get someone else to watch her) and get some self care to recharge.
  • Make a vow to never interact with her if you're angry or very frustrated. Just walk away if you have to. Go into another room and scream into a pillow. But never touch or interact with an animal when you're angry, it's almost impossible to do so kindly. The most interaction you should do is to toss some treats into their pen or crate if they need to be contained (don't pick them up or push them in - practice the treat-toss lure during training sessions so you know you can get them contained without force when you need to)

@kristajunee This will pass. My puppy ate a cat toy at 12 weeks old and I had to force him into his crate and drive 45 minutes to the emergency vet. Needless to say he absolutely hated his crate and wouldn’t go in willingly for a while afterwards. With a lot of treats and crate training, he will now (8 months old) run into his crate if I even mention the word “crate” out loud. The point is, you can turn this around. It will take time and patience, but you can rebuild the trust.

I sometimes lose my patience with my puppy too. It helps if I realize what I’m doing in the moment, take a deep breath and then apologize to him. Even though I know he doesn’t know what I’m saying, I feel like he understands I wasn’t being malicious and that I just had a bad moment.

@kristajunee I found my puppy would forget a lot if there was ham involved. Sit on the ground and toss really small chunks of ham or cheese or hot dog. It won't take too long before he's coming up nuzzling you for more.

@kristajunee Just continue like normal. She’s 9 weeks. You’ve most likely had her for a little under a week. Keep things fun, and try and end play before she gets rough though it takes a second to learn the signs for rough play.

@kristajunee I have to give my 11 week puppy really disgusting tablets twice a day atm. Before I discovered squeezey cheese i was forcing it in her mouth and she hated me after but got over it very quick after loads of cuddles and treats. Yours will get over it.

@kristajunee Yeah, just try not to in future and build the trust back up. I did the same with mine and he got all scared of me for little periods. I felt like the world's biggest dickhead, shouting at an innocent little animal. We're just a bit shit at communicating when something pushes our buttons. Just endeavour to let this make you a better version of yourself.

I bet she felt terrible about hurting you, by the way. It must be confusing that humans are THIS fragile but she'll get over it.

@kristajunee It is ok, that is a good reaction to have to teach her bite inhibitions too. She might just be a bit fearful with new environment, so make sure to just offer her treats or playtime after so she knows its ok after the accident.

@kristajunee Use treats when you approach her if it’s really bad otherwise you did the right thing to a certain extent. My job sometimes requires me to speak firmly or even yell at people over the phone and my pup will run out of the room at times. As soon as I get off the phone I will immediately find him and reward him with love or treats to show that he’s okay and a good boy. Present positivity and affection and she will pick up on this. Eventually she’ll get back to normal as soon as she realizes you love her unconditionally. Dogs can pick up on our emotions in ways that’s are beyond human perception. So use a happy voice and treats and you’ll get through this. It’s uncomfortable but you got this!

@kristajunee Similar thing happened with my pup and me at about that same age. I think he actually likes and listens to me more than he does my partner. It takes time and patience but like people said, associate good things with you. Your pup will get over it pretty quickly.

Back