A question to all dog owners!

michaeltox

I'm curious to find out from you all, what are the biggest issues you face when buying supplies e.g food, toys, etc. for your dog?

@michaeltox I've been buying the same brand of dog food since i got my first dog. I try to mix up the treats for high reward value. Sometimes they surprise me in what they don't find as a high reward.

Dog boarding is always a hassle. The good one's book up fast and if you miss the window the one's you're left with you get an anxious animal when you come back. But that's once in a blue moon.

@michaeltox NOTHING mainstream is made for a whippet. No cute sweaters at Target or Petsmart seem to fit him right. No collar will fit well enough that it won't slip off, and he can slip himself out of every single harness except a Ruffwear Webmaster.

@noizyvegan I have a German Shepherd/ACD and a lab mix. Just about the only stuffed toy they can’t destroy is Gordon the Sloth by Bark Box. (They’ve destroyed all other toys from that brand that we’ve tried.) We have five Gordons all over the house because they love them so much. Maybe your dog would like it?

@michaeltox I don’t think there are any issues? We just get it when we are supermarket shopping. He chews through leads and harnesses which is annoying, but I just buy a couple at a time so I have back ups

@michaeltox My biggest issue is my husband who will roll his eyes and ask me, why the hell i bought another toy for the dog…
But the thing is, she is a very smart BorderAussie Mix (or Bossie, as I call it) and knows her toys by name and we need more to keep her engaged. It’s fun to let her bring all of them just by asking her and then she will „tidy up“. I’m curious to see how many names she can learn (it’s only 12 right now but I’m sure that’s not the end).

Also, for all of those who have dogs that destroy their toys immediately: it is possible to teach some dogs not to do that. Engage with the toy in a gentle, loving way (as if it were something precious like a puppy), never play tug with and never throw those. Stop them when they try to destroy and show again how you treat the toy. That is obviously not for every dog and much easier with puppies, but with some it can be done.

@ddfne2or97 I started making my own treats about 2 years ago . Some are baked and some are dehydrated jerky . It took me a few tries before I figured out what my dog likes best . It saves me a lot of money, and I'm less stingy with giving the treats away to my friend's dog .

@raiah16 Yeah, I make my own treats too. I get free moose meat from my brother who hunts, so I save a lot of money but I haven't really found a good way to get the consistency right yet, lol.

@michaeltox I didn't know how picky a dog could be with toys until I got my spoiled girl. She's been with me since she was 7 months old and she dislikes any toy that doesn't squeak, is bigger than my hand (for rope toys), and ANY food related toy. She's also a rough player so finding toys to her liking that would also last longer than a week was very hard at first. Thankfully as she got older she became a lot more gentle with her toys (she's about to be 2 years old) so buying toys isn't as common anymore but I still buy her something anytime I go shopping somewhere that has a pet section 😅

@michaeltox If it ain’t as tough as a truck, it’s gonna get eaten. No, seriously. The big dog eats his toys. He at least has the decency to chew them first, but it’s a thing. Meanwhile, if it isn’t the size of a mouse, the small dog can’t play with it.

@michaeltox We had problems with finding the right chew toys. My Pepper is a medium dog with a snout on a shorter side but a very powerful bite . Toys for her size mouth are usually too soft . We solved this problem by giving her frozen ribs .

Back