9 Year Old LabX Slowing Down

brian307

I have a 9 year old lab mix. He weighs 65 lb and has a good body score but lost some muscle over covid.

He and I both got a little out of shape during covid, I started working from home and my mom (who lives nearby) retired - all of which completely upended his routine.

Nowadays he seems a little more low key than usual, doesn't pop right up when I open the treat cabinet and just sits for a minute before he begins eating his food (which he then eats without ever raising his head from the bowl). He still trots at the dog park and can tolerate a 3 mile walk (but is tired after).

I've had him to an internal medicine vet at a local animal hospital and his regular vet... he had an abdominal ultrasound in January (at my request) which was unremarkable (performed and read by a vet at the clinic he goes for his physical). His only abnormal lab value is elevated Canine Pancreatic Lipase (which is what inspired the option for the A-US).

All three vets seem to want to reassure me he is fine. But I just can't shake it. Could it be that it really is just a combination of aging and maybe getting out of shape these last two years?

He has a physical with his regular vet Thursday - any other questions I should be pursuing?

@brian307 My lab made it to 2 weeks shy of 14. You will see some slowdown as they age but it is good to keep checking with the vets. I would start getting the knees checked regularly. Also with the eating, try and rotate the food. They can get picky in their older years. One thing i did was shake some powdered parmesean onto his kibble. He went wild for that.

@elodie Thank you! It's nice to know some slowdown is normal.

Do you recall if yours started to slow at about the same age? And what sort of slowdown?

I will ask the vet to do some orthopedic checks in addition to her usual physical examinations.

I have some parmasan... I will try that! :)

@brian307 My lab started slowing down around 8, he's 10 now and isn't the dog he used to be but still trots and plays occasionally. He basically just takes a bit longer to get around, we had to put a ramp in because stairs got too hard, and some increase in arthritis in his hips and neck. We got his weight down a bit, he was never too fat but the leaner the better with arthritis. He has a continuous neck injury and was bitten by a snake this year so that has taken a toll.

As for food enhancers, my boy loves a little beef stock in his water to keep him hydrated (or sparkling water!) and gravy or bone broth makes his meals a lot more interesting. Parmesan is also great though because they love that stinky smell lol

@cprogpositivity Thank you.

My mom said mine did the puppy bounce at the park the other day but I haven't seen it in quite a while. Mostly I just see him trot.

I will definitely keep an eye on the arthritis and the joints. I can deal with a slowdown - though I feel bad that covid (and my subsequent depression related laziness) happened at a time when I feel like he needed me to keep him active the most. I just feel like I let him down.

I am totally intrigues by the parmasan (although, to be fair I'd probably also eat parmasan on every meal given the chance).

No problems with water intake at this time - but I'll have to remember the broth!

Wishing you and your boy many more happy years of companionship!

@brian307 We’ve had 4 labs in our family over the years and they all slowed up around the age of 8. My current (love of my life) is a labradoodle and she will be 9 next month and I have noticed her slow this past year. She is slower on her walks and prefers to sniff a lot, so I let her. She will sometimes lay down in a shady spot on a longer walk or if she’s had a run around with friends, so I sit with her for 10 mins till she gets her second wind. Sometimes in the evening if she’s had a busy day, she will be a little stiff getting up, so I’ve recently put her on joint tablets, which seem to be helping with that. It does break may heart and play on my mind that she is getting old, but the bond built up with a senior dog over their lifetime, is so so special and it’s all about making her last years as happy and as comfortable as can be for her. Enjoy your senior pup x

@disciple37 Thank you. That makes me feel a bit better that it happens about this age. I was just concerned something other than aging was going on (despite the vets). Love my boy so much and want to make all of his days and years oh so good.

He is also on joint supplements.

As always, still striving for worlds oldest dog. :)

Wishing you and your Pup many more years of love and companionship.