9 month old puppy doesn’t follow me to the bathroom anymore :( Suggestions?

buckert

My 3/4 GSD mix puppy stopped following me to the bathroom recently. It’s a small thing, but I really liked her company while I sat on the toilet (hah). She used to sit outside the bathroom until I came out, or sometimes she’d whine to let her in so she could demand pats from me in the bathtub.

Now, she has no interest in accompanying me. If I call her from the bathroom, she’ll just look at me and not come. When I enter the bathroom if she’s standing in the hallway in front of it, she . . . walks away. I don’t think she’s scared of the room - if I lead her into the bathroom on a leash, she comes quite willingly and is happy to be pet, and she has no problem eating in there, it’s just she doesn’t go of her own volition.

Otherwise, she’s the same and clingy as ever - currently cuddling with me on the bed. Her appetite and energy are unchanged.

I know this is such a ridiculous thing to fret over, but I’m so curious why this aspect of her behavior has suddenly changed! Any thoughts?

@buckert I would say she's made a proper assessment of the room and is satisfied there is little likelihood of you escaping so she doesn't need to accompany you any more

@buckert It sounds like you trained her not to enter the bathroom when you’re in there by leaving her outside the closed door. She learned she’s not supposed to be there, so she stopped trying to do what you trained her not to do.

@fatherat50 I wondered if I had unintentionally trained her not to enter the bathroom as well, but she has consistently always waited for me outside for the three months I’ve had her. And I usually give her a treat when she follows me to the door and when I come out.

Starting two weeks ago, I finally caved and began to let her in with me. She seemed very relaxed and would never get up until I did.

So if this is the case, what should I do? :(

@buckert Just let her be and let her do what she wants unless you NEED to have her follow you.

My boy is almost 9. When I used to shower he’d lay in the bathroom and wait for me. Now he doesn’t and sometimes comes in when he hears the water turn off. I let him do whatever he feels like as it doesn’t make a difference to me.

@buckert Let him have some autonomy to just stay where he wants. It’s healthy to not be attached at the hip 24/7. You don’t want him to develop separation anxiety. It’s ok for him to hang out by himself for 45 seconds. You’ll survive too.

@buckert My dog did that for 6 months. Then suddenly stopped. I realized that it was because 1. I didn't let him in 2. I would take forever. 3. He was tired of waiting. So now when he sees I grab my towel, he knows that after I shower, I'm coming back into the room to change so he doesn't even move lol

@tmaple My dog pushes the shower door open and sticks her nose in then when I close it she wedges her face against the side (between a shelf and the glass) and just stares at me like a stalker 🤣 to be fair my bathroom is in my bedroom so I never shut the door but she also gallops into the bathroom if I'm on the toilet and she expects me to scratch her butt while I sit there. If the door is shut she sniffs under is and makes hilarious snorts.