9 m/o border collie with possessive aggression over food and his humans

paullovesgod

Okay so this will probably be a long post, because I want to include as much detail as possible !

TL:DR 9 month old border collie, trained with positive reinforcement, has developed difficult possessive tendencies over food and his humans, against dogs including our other dog, and now other humans. Not sure how to go about rectifying these issues.

I bought my mom a 9 week old blue merle border collie pup in March. (He was not a 'surprise' she fully new about and wanted him) He's approx 9 months old now, and was neutered last week.

From the start he was an exceptionally brave, rambunctious and outgoing pup. He loved people, he loved my other dog, he was interested in everything and not at all fearful. We decided we wanted to train him with positive reinforcement only, as we did not want a nervous collie.

This KIND OF worked. It worked when it was something he wanted to do-we took him to puppy agility, and he loves it, so he is 100% focused and never puts a foot wrong. Outside of this he's not great unless he can see the treat reward, and even then, half the time he doesnt see the treat as worth it . Simple commands, which he knows, like "Go to bed", "sit" "wait" "look at me", "Touch" and "leave it" are regularly disregarded and ignored. He will literally walk away when given one of these commands or just look away.

We live in a busy house, full of adults, and so he was introduced to lots of people, and was also well socialized outside of the house-taken to cafes, on buses on trains and introduced to other dogs who he usually plays very well with.

He gets 4 walks a day and the longest he spends alone is about 2 hours a day, and even then he has the company of my other dog, as my mom often takes him with her when she is working.

When we initially got him, he was food possessive. We worked hard on this-we encouraged him to leave it, to let us take the food, and then return it etc, all in a positive treat orientated way. We got him to the point were we could feed him and our other dog comfortably in the same room at the same time without issues. And he was even comfortable to leave his food unattended to go do something else. We thought the food aggression was sort of better(or at least no worse than you'd expect in dogs) However, we noticed that he HATED if we ever gave other dogs a treat on walks-this was a practice around us where dog walkers often give treats to all the dogs around them when the dogs are playing. However, we learned that it was fine if other humans gave treats, but not okay if they were HIS humans giving treats, or he'd become aggressive. We were advised by a trainer to simply not share or even distribute treats to him while other dogs were around.But over the last month he has reverted into food aggression with my other dog. This isn't what I would consider normal. He gets 2 meals a day and she gets 1. We decided to start feeding them separate under advise as, his aggression towards her while she was eating caused her to react and they were both defending their meals. My bitch, will go to her bed when he is being fed and ignore the whole thing. Simple. Except when its time for her to be fed, he goes apes4!t at her. You only have to touch HER bowl and he'll start snapping and snarling at her. She'll often be sitting on her bed waiting to be called to eat when this occurs, and we have no idea how to deal with this? He has not hurt her but we are worried about the stress its causing both of them.

Additionally he is possessive of his people. Especially of my mom. He body blocks my other dog from her. At first it

was simply thought to be puppy excitement "I too want to be petted"

We noticed it when we went out and strange dogs would request pets, even if he was off playing he'd come back to herd them away from us. If they didnt back off, he'd be ready to start a fight over this.

He does it at home too, and my female is very chill and would simply walk away. But now its EVERY time she is near my mom or me or any family, he'll shove her out of the way and curl is lip at her. This is obviously stressful for the dogs, but we don't know how to eradicate it. And the worst thing is, this possessiveness has transferred to human aggression. My dog will now defend us from guests.

My friend was staying with us, and she was excited to meet him, as she is a big fan of border collies. When she arrived he was chilling outside, so we went out to say hi and invite him inside. He greeted her (full of excitement) and then we called him in, and went up to the sitting room. I sat down next to her on the couch and he was enjoying getting petted. Now this dog is a talker-I swear he thinks he can communicate. Its an annoying habit, but we mostly just let it slide cause its just the way he is. So he starts barking, and generally talking (nothing vicious, nothing that would lead me to believe he was unhappy) He issues two barks and a whine, she asks him to come to her, and he jumps up and snaps at her face.

YIKES. Not good.

My friend is a dog person, and she is cool, but we decided that she should get some treats, and redirect his attention-we figured if she had treats and gave him commands, he would see her as a distributor of resources and if he could listen to her, he'd calm down. So she gets the treats, asks him to sit, he does, tells him to lie down, he does, asks him to wait. And then says yes, and rewards him with a treat. Perfect. He's calm, she pets him, puts the treats back and he jumps and snaps and starts to snarl at her almost immediately after the treats are gone.

This happened a week ago, since then he's done this with 3 other people, and has started to show aggression outside of the house. He had previously expressed aggression about 2 months ago to a guest, but we figured it was because that guest hugged everyone, and we never hug in our house, and we figured he may have been confused.

We have no idea the best way to go about dealing with all of these things. We have discussed getting him a muzzle, simply because we cant predict when people will call and often small children call to our house and if he is in the garden we are worried about any incident.

Update: I know this post didnt get a lot of interest, but we organised a behaviourist to come see him. She gave us some really helpful advice and we're working hard on it. He is going through a fear phase, ehich is why his behaviour seemed to change so suddenly.

His aggression is definitely getting better and his food aggression is completely gone, although he is no longer fed out of bowls, he now gets his food in kongs at different times during the day. He is still a little unpredictable with house guests, but we now know the best ways to manage it for everyone.
Fundamentally he is a very loving pup, he is just a big scaredy cat that acts out in fear

@paullovesgod Honestly, I'd personally consult a veterinary behaviorist. That's a pretty quick progression between things, especially in a younger dog.

What were his parents like? RG'ing is actually pretty common in BC's. It seems like a unspoken/accepted attribute to the breed, but reputable breeders should have given you a head's up to what runs in that pairing's family tree (I'm going assume this wasn't a reputable breeder, plenty of red flags in your post).

Couple of things I'd explore:
  • Start muzzle training immediately.
  • Go back to basics on RG'ing management and training. The better protocol for RG'ing is not leave it, it's trading games - showing the dog that'll you'll always give something back of equal or higher value. Over time, you adjust so that you're not always trading (eventually you can stop trading altogether, but really, you should probably just make it random).
  • With regard to seeing the treats - how did you train with the treats? They should not be in your hand, or visible to the dog unless you are very specifically luring the initial concept of the skill. I'd go back to basics on those as well, and introduce 'proofing' for distance, duration and distraction, slowly.
  • I'd seriously have him evaluated by a veterinary behaviorist. I have dogs that naturally RG from a young age, but the escalation and progression of the RG'ing in your dog makes me think something more genetic is at play here (or something else, but that's a pretty quick escalation and progression).
  • For the bowls, I'd try moving him to another room prior to feeding, but I'd also get rid of the idea of a his/her bowl. Swap them around - give him her bowl. I'd also try some look at that games with distance. Feed her, get some food for him and make him earn it, mark and reward preferred behaviors - remember, make the game easy at first, get as much distance as you can so that he can see but is NOT reacting. If you can't do it in the house, do it outside - you can hand feed your other dog.

@doks Thank you for your reply!

Yeah I agree Im trying to get the rest of the family on board with a behaviourist, I dont think the escalation was normal at all. He is my mothers dog though, so at the end of the day I cant make her take him, although I have been bringing it up daily, before this even started as he had snapped at a few family members-if he refused to go to bed, and someone laid a hand on him to move him-never rough,just like a guiding hand, they would face snappy behaviour

No we didn't get him off a reputable breeder, his parents were working farm dogs. (I know terrible idea, and usually Im all about adopting animals)

When we trained him with treats they were never visible. Normally in a pocket, or hidden in the closed fist. We moved where we kept them too, so in different pockets, bags what have you. Eventually down the line his drive for treats kinda diminished when we tried to wean him off a reward for every correct behavior. So, at first we gave a treat for every correct time, then we maybe would give it every second//couple of times, then random rewarding.

We also had started training "leave it" so we would show him one single treat, and if he left it, he got more treats. Once that started he wouldn't ever do a command unless he saw the treat first, or knew that you had one for certain. This I know was our own mistake.

Going back to the basics seems like the best option for that stuff, I think we did get complacent with it, and its led to inconsistencies for him

@paullovesgod As I was reading I was really hoping you hadn’t tried to get him used to you taking his food yet. That can make things exponentially worse very fast. This is a nasty issue. I strongly recommend you only take advice from professionals who are highly regarded and have many years of experience in aggression and specifically food aggression. In the mean time, treats and food should only happen when the dog is separated or crated. You can very occasionally toss a better piece of food near him as he eats. I would do that every so often but generally stay away.

@paullovesgod Seconding consulting with a veterinarian and animal Behaviorist. To rule out any biological issues.

He sounds a bit like my mom Anatolian shepherd great Pyrenees mix. My mom rescued her at 18 months and end up working with a animal behaviorist to address her aggression and resource guarding issues.

At 9 months old he beginning his teen age years which makes most dogs a handful but not typically to this level.

Your description of a confident out going puppy in my experience means you have a dog that wants to take charge. He just doesn’t have any manners and like a lot of teenagers is being pushy jerk.

With my mom’s dog the trainer had her put on a very strict regime. She not allowed to make any decisions, she not allowed on the bed or couch. Humans go through doors first, she has to walk in heal, she is given release commands for sniffing. Everything is extremely structured.

I know it sounds like some of that Alpha dog approach it’s really not though. Anatolian livestock guardians she needs a job and my mom gives her a job by creating structured activities to complete. She was 70 pounds of Fury with anybody that was not immediate family. She come a long way and is now able to not flip out because my mom is talking to the neighbors.

Even though he has a lot of company and interaction it’s not the same thing as having a job and that’s what working breeds are looking for.

Back