7mo Issues

seeknom1

Hey, I’m a new user to the group. I got a pit bull from his previous owner about 2 months ago. He’s not a bad dog, super social and smart, haven’t had any real issues with him. There are some things that I am trying to get together though. He is my first dog and he has started pulling on the leash recently, his focus on commands is complete garbage when we are not in the house with food/treats, recently he has also started blowing off commands, especially when outside. It’s almost like I don’t exist when we are outside and gets ridiculously excited with every person and dog he sees. Just wondering if you guys have any tips that I can utilize or learn from. I watched some videos and they recommended hand feeding and crating when not interacting with me, but wanted to see if there are any other recommendations.

Also, just a note that he will be going to Offleash K-9 in my area for some balanced training with an e-collar, starting next week.

@seeknom1 Leerburg.com

Michael Ellis' Training Your Puppy DVD

The Focused Puppy book

Btw 7 months is a really common time for puppy owners to have odd issues, so have some faith and try to stress as little as possible about the issues. Treat them like the best puppy ever but still really try to progress on their issues.

@seeknom1 Honestly, 7-9 months is a rodeo. Your best dog training tool right now is time.

It might be time to introduce a prong collar as well, so he doesn't teach himself to pull, but that would be a discussion to have with your trainer.

Back