7 yr. Old Rat Terrior, Farmers Dog to ???

hschaap

Trying to find a quality food for
my 14 lb female Rat Terrior. Thinking about Farmina or Royal Canin or ??
I've researched this for 8 hours nonstop and WTF!!! Lol. Help please!!

Details below for those interested.

Got her and her sis at 1 yr old and my daughter has her sis at her house.
She went from Purina One to homemade chicken,rice,pumpkin,carrot with a dab of yogurt to Farmers Dog.
Purina One, her lower back itched and her pads were super dry plus she was chubby and/or bloated.
Home made, she lost weight but the entire process of making the food was very time consuming.
Farmers Dog for the last couple years and I find out it's $200 a month...yikes. Price!

Farmina wet would be nice but it seems the dry is more economical.
From what I gather, 1 to 1 1/3 cup a day would yield 50 to 60 servings out of a 15.4 lb bag so 1.5 to 2 months. Seems like I'd be money ahead. Can't decide on which "offering" and there's some pricey stuff there.

@hschaap Hills, Purina, and Royal Canin are all great brands with extensive science behind them. Purina Pro Plan has a sensitive skin & stomach formula that comes in salmon, turkey, or lamb.

@seashells We're trying a royal canin product though I don't understand the main ingredient being corn. That gives me pause for concern.
Looking at all the different sites that rank things, I'm fairly certain the vast majority are from foreign countries pitching click-bait.

@seashells I'm not exactly sure what differences there are in the way corn is processed between humans and dogs but it looks like the non processed/underprocessed kernel seems to be the culprit. I can see that (litteraly everytime I eat corn in whole form). Perhaps the skin itself doesn't break down and with the kernels swallowed intact, they pass intact. ..but the salt, pepper and butter were worth it.

@hschaap I have a 7 year old Rat Terrier and he thrives on Natures Recipe small breed Chicken and Sweet Potato. It has chickpea too and is listed grain free. He’s had perfectly formed stools and no bad breath. The food is inexpensive and he does better on it than any brand I’ve ever bought. He has a sensitive stomach to a lot of things so we are very specific with treats and never give him table food unless it’s plain chicken/turkey.