7 y/o dog suddenly can't tolerate grooming -- can I fix this?

kimbarcelo25

Hi everyone. My dog is 7 years old (small dog) and has had no difficulty being groomed by a range of groomers for his entire life (~ 4-5 groomings a year). All of a sudden, the past two sessions I had to come pick him up early because he was distraught when it came time to blow dry/cut his hair (he's fine in the bath). After the first incident, I brought him back a week later and they were able to finish up without difficulty. The second incident happened today, and they said he peed and pooped all over the table, was thrashing around, and barking like crazy in the crate. I feel awful that the groomers had to put up with this. Shockingly, they are willing to see him next week to see if they can finish up, since he has gone there for years (and with this specific groomer) without difficulty.

Is there anything I can do to make this next grooming appointment successful/to calm his anxiety? It came out of nowhere, I can't think of any major life changes that would have prompted this change in behavior. I would really like to avoid having to take him to a vet to be sedated/groomed if at all possible.

Thanks so much! I love this dog and this makes me so sad!

UPDATE: Thank you all, I am so appreciative of your helpful comments and advice! I have made an appointment with the vet and will speak to the groomer about the blow-drying/modifying the order of grooming tasks. I'll post another update next week after his follow-up appointment!

@kimbarcelo25 Major changes in behavior should be checked out by a vet. I had a dog that always tried to eat me until mom gave pain meds after the vet found hip dysplasia. It could be pain related or something more serious.

@kimbarcelo25 Did they specify that this started with the blow dryer? Some dogs have what is called "dryer seizures" where they begin barking and panicking due to the sound or feel/sensation of the dryer, and most dogs do this as they get older.

I groomed a sweet middle aged Cocker who was always great for drying and one day he absolutely lost his marbles on the table, screaming, barking, flailing, peeing, pooping, etc. I had no idea what triggered it, but the vet found a very bad deep inner ear infection and once that was treated, he was back to his normal sweet self.

BTW, your groomer sounds really great with you and your dog, and you sound like a great owner to work with on this!

@carl78 Yes, it really sounds like a dryer seizure, pretty common with poodles and cockers. The groomer needs to use a Happy Hoodie and a low fluff dryer

@kimbarcelo25 Is he losing his hearing? That could explain the dryer. Or maybe an inner ear infection? He could have pain that he didn't have before. I would do a vet check to rule it out.

@kimbarcelo25 I don't want to scare you, but a huge change in behavior like this is sometimes linked to a brain tumor or other neurological issue. I'd ask a vet for more advice if possible.

@kimbarcelo25 It sounds to me like the groomer needs to stop blow drying him. There’s two options, mostly depending on his hair type, they can either do the haircut before the bath and then let him air dry and clean up after (this is mostly only a good idea if you get him short, and it does leave them a little crispy) or let them air dry and then do the haircut (this would result in him being there longer and is only a good option if your dog air dries quickly). Unfortunately, as they get older, things change and we might have to make less than ideal changes to our routine to keep them comfortable - the way you described makes it sound like the blow dryer is now a trigger, so that needs to be removed.

also, though, with him only being 7, I would strongly suggest making a check-up appointment to make sure everything is okay.

@godswillservices I agree that he shouldn’t be blow dried anymore. That said, I also agree with earlier comments about dryer induced seizures. He should not be blow dried. I would dry him with fans, but know that this does not produce the professional result that you would want from grooming. This would be a maintenance trim only. It won’t look perfect, but it is in the best interest of your pup.

@kimbarcelo25 He learned losing his shit makes the thing he hates happening, not happen.

Focus on that lesson, however he needs to learn it. You’re the authority figure, you have to teach it. As stated it could be pain but it sounds like panic. It takes a lot of pain to induce losing control of bowels and pee everywhere. Freaked out dogs do it all the time.

Back