7 month old gsd

We got our boy at 9 weeks. He's in the house with our 15 year old min pin, doesn't really bother him much. As the old man doesn't want to be bothered. We started working with a trainer about 6 weeks ago for some obedience, pulling my wife, basic manners. After the 3rd session, he started to become more reactive to people and dogs in general. A few weeks back he developed a limp, so we went to vet, inflammation in growth plates. Told us to take it easy for a few weeks, had anti inflammatory meds, and the limp went away. We were supposed to go back to training this week, but the limp came back. So she wants to put off training until he gets through his growing pains.

In the meantime, his reactivity has gotten worse. My wife is worried that she won't ever be able to handle him. Where should we start. Every house on our block with the exception of 1 has at least 1 dog.

We just don't know where to start or what to do. It is a chore to even go out to potty because barking starts immediately from across the street, or from our boy because he's looking for the other dogs to bark at.

@orthodox_christian Have you ever had a GSD? I’m only including this information because you don’t state otherwise in your post. Your GSD is reactive because he’s bored.

I’m wanna assume your trainer has said this but in case they didn’t, GSD are easy to train and make great family pets IF you exercise their mind and body DAILY. Good news is, there are good brain training toys that your dog can do while injured, bad news is that GSD are smart as whip and they figure them out quickly.

At one year old my pup is just now at a point where I can skip a day or two of hard training and he isn’t losing his mind. At 7-months he required daily exercise. Typically, I give my dog an hour…sometimes two, of hard running (and incorporating training) at an off leash park. This lets him burn energy and learn to socialize. I took him all the way from beginner to advanced training and still do reinforcement training, as well introducing new things for him to learn from time to time. Also, the breed needs a job, mine guards the property and I’m beginning to teach him scent work.

For my dog, this is really the bare minimum and I knew before getting him as a pup that I was committing to this much work, especially in the first 1-2 years. I’ve never had behavioral issues with my dog, he never barks at home, and he FINALLY stopped pulling the leash. He’s so gentle on a leash that my two year old “walks” him.

Great dogs, but they are a TON of work.

@orthodox_christian That's tough, I'm sorry. Your trainer likely suggested a pause because physical pain greatly impacts behaviour; but even then, I'm sorry she left you a bit in the dark and on your own. I wouldn't be surprised if the increase in reactivity you're noticing is very much related to whatever discomfort he's feeling. Did the vet give you an estimate of how much pain he could be in? I wonder if it's worth asking them for a very gentle painkiller, until he heals fully. Or maybe even try some CBD—it's great for inflammation and pain management.

In terms of what to do, I would really try to take it easy. Pause training for your own mental health too. At around the same age, my pup got sick as well. The best choice we made was to prioritize decompression during that time and avoid triggers as much as possible. I used to pack him into the car everyday and take him out to an isolated spot. I used a 50' long line and just let him sniff and relax. It sounds like a lot of extra work, but was actually so much easier on me than braving a block walk. We still do this quite regularly and I think it's been instrumental in his training progress.

I would also spend this 'pause' time teaching some cues inside the house that will translate well outside. A positive interrupter, an attention cue, etc.

I appreciate the advice. He is our first gsd. We have had 5 or 6 other dogs over the past 20 years, but he is our first shepherd. Our trainer has been great with everything so far, and I plan on talking with her today for some advice on at home things as well.

After 1 dose if the anti inflammatory meds, he is starting to seem better, so hopefully they will help him out alot.

He is by far the smartest dog I have ever had. He can pick up things really quick. So I know it's possible. And we have seen glimpses of the dog we know is in there hiding . We will just keep on working. Thank you all for the input.

@dr650adv He is not neutered. And that is a good idea for doing later walks. We live close to a school campus, and all the students will be gone in next few weeks as well, so hoping that helps some.