7 1/2 Y.O. Shih Tzu

ihaveahope

I adopted a male Shih Tzu in May. When I got him, he has been on kibble/Pure Balance lamb and fava bean version. He enjoys his food, but I want better for him than dry food. He is very fussy, but he’s healthy. I threw out his Milk Bones and Canine Carry Outs.

I’ve done lots of research, but the answers are all SO confusing!! Kibble/no kibble/cooked/raw/toppers/grain free/don’t do grain free.

My. Head. Is. Spinning!!! 😣

Any advice you can give me is very much appreciated!

He DOES love people food (popcorn, cheese puffs, French fries) but I refuse to feed him that, even for an occasional treat. He does love Chicken Chips, though.

@ihaveahope It can be really confusing to figure out what’s safe to feed! Social media and “pet nutritionists” are largely to blame. To keep it simple, trust your vet and board certified veterinary nutritionists. Trust science and research. Utilizing the WSAVA guidelines help too!

https://vetnutrition.tufts.edu/2019/12/pet-food-decisions-how-do-you-pick-your-pets-food/

https://wsava.org/wp-content/upload...dated-2021_WSAVA-Global-Nutrition-Toolkit.pdf

I can offer more specific diet recommendations if you’d like, too.

@ihaveahope Every dog is different and fed is best. Purina Pro Plan is an affordable dry or wet food option that is backed by feeding trials. Same with hills. I also like nutrisource and taste of the wild, both are family owned & are backed by feeding trials!

I will try a can, especially since the price is reasonable-but I’m not against spending more, although Carna4 is pushing it! 😄

@ihaveahope I’m in the same boat. I have an almost 2 year old Shih Tzu that is extremely picky and the only thing she will eat consistently is boiled chicken and Nutro Ultra small breed kibble, but I always feel like should be feeding her something better because all we hear is kibble is big bad no no (although my vet says he prefers kibble to wet food because it’s better on their teeth). She snubs her nose at wet food nowadays anyway. I could be wrong, but in the midst of my head spinning, I’ve coming to the conclusion that the perfect dog food seems to be subjective and highly debatable and can depend on the dog/breed. At least the major no brainer is to not to feed them that cheap crap kibble.

@nocalove I am going to try something a little different each week without spending a ton of money. If I find something he likes, I’ll let you know right away!

Back