6yo Pomeranian diet change (around 6 pounds)

dieneman

My Pomeranian has been suffering hair loss after a very bad grooming experience. I have been massaging her coat with coconut hair oil and it didn’t help unfortunately. I’m hoping a diet change would help. She’s been eating Orijen kibbles. I don’t mind preparing and cooking food for my dog at all. Does anyone know what’s a good balanced meal that meets the nutritional needs of a 6yo Pomeranian (6pounds)? I’m very worried my dog will gain a lot of weight if I switch her
to a non kibble diet. (which had happened before, I used to feed her cooked chicken)

@dieneman Please use something like “just food for dogs”. They got DIY kits with the vitamins/minerals and a detailed recipe. You can cause serious long term harm to your dog by feeding unbalanced diets.

You sure the hair loss is diet? Have you ruled out things like hyperthyroidism?

@dieneman I second the DIY Just Food For Dogs kit. They also make prepared diets which I feed my dog. I wouldn’t worry about about her gaining weight if you’re feeding the proper amount of a fresh food diet. Kibbles are actually very high in carbs.

Also, a lot of Pomeranians are prone to alopecia and their hair just falls out. A diet change wouldn’t hurt though. Fish oils are great for skin and coat too.

Back