6-Month-Old Obsessed WithEating Sticks and Counter Surfing (x-post /r/dogtraining)

sigmachi1855

My girlfriend and I have a wonderful, 6-month-old Newfoundland puppy. She is extremely well behaved aside from two annoying and potentially dangerous habits.

The most severe issue is her obsession with eating sticks. She always had a propensity to go after sticks while outside, but we never thought much of it since she never ate them. That is, until she lost her puppy teeth. Now she crunches through them in seconds and chews them up and swallows. When we are on walks, she has laser focus and snaps them up quicker than we can see them. We try our hardest to use the "leave it" and "drop it" commands, which she is normally very good with, but neither are working. When those fail, we result to trying to pry them from her jaws or pull them away from her. This is pretty ineffective because she is so quick and strong. I can tell that eating them definitely isn't playful and when we try to grab them, it isn't a game to her. However, she never growls or snaps at us. She only tries to hold on and eat them as quickly as possible. This happens at all times of the day, even right after she eats.

Aside from making walks exceedingly difficult, we also find a lot of sticks in her poop and she throws up sticks about once a week (after eating a larger amount than normal). I also know that this can be dangerous to her health, potentially causing infected splinters and bowel obstructions. Please help us figure out how to deal with this! We've been training her solely using clicker and positive reinforcement, but nothing seems to work with this.

The second issue is counter surfing. Since discovering her size, she has occasionally jumped up on the counters to check out what's up there. We were very careful to always keep anything out of her reach, but recently she was able to find food on a couple of occasions. Now, whenever she is in the kitchen, she's constantly hopping up onto the counter to see what's up there, even when nothing is. We have been trying to train it out of her by keeping the counters clean, using the "off" command with a treat when successful, and lifting her off the counters when she isn't listening (with praise once on the ground). Are we handling this correctly? This is starting to become a nuisance and it is embarrassing when we are guests in someone's home.

Thank you for any advice!

Here's our little monster at the beach today:

@sigmachi1855 We are having the same stick issue with our puppy who is also 6 months old. He eats grass, duck poop, sticks and flowers and is throwing up later. For now, we distract him with his favorite treat(High value treat we use for training and good behavior only) as soon as he has something in his mouth. He usually drops it and comes for the treat. He is also loves chasing, so if he is eating and wont "leave it", I pretend run away from him. He'll drop whatever he is eating and come chasing me. We've had about 80% success so far in the last two weeks. We're still trying to reinforce the leave it with treats and play. Be careful to not treat every time or they'll start putting things in their mouths just for treats.
For the counter surfing, have you tried putting some "yucky tasting" stuff on the counter like lemon juice drops which will put her off?

@sigmachi1855 How are you teaching 'Drop'?

Ours has this same thing with eating sticks but we've been working on saying 'drop' and then putting a few treats on the ground for him to eat. We do this at home - sometimes when he has nothing in his mouth, sometimes when he has a toy, and then we have now begun doing this outside too when he has picked up garbage or sticks.

That's worked pretty well for the most part, otherwise we're just having to grab them quickly like you're already doing :(