4-month old puppy reactive to dogs, not showing improvement with clicker

Two months ago I rescued an 8-week old "Boston terrier/chihuahua mix" (he's a rescue, so who can know for sure) and brought him home with me. I'll call him L. My roommate already had a dog, a 4-month old mystery mix, called G. G is very excitable and kind of needy, while L is a bit more shy and relaxed. Since we knew this, we gave them a bit of an acclimation period where G wasn't allowed to get in L's face while L was getting used to the new environment. This only lasted about two days, which may not have been enough.

Once we let G approach L, he was immediately in his face all the time. We would separate them when the play got too rough or when L seemed to be upset, but generally let them figure themselves out.

Fast-forward about two weeks. L and I start attending puppy training classes. He's very nervous and is the only dog that doesn't want to play. There was a lot of tail down and him hiding behind my legs. The dogs don't get to play during class, so no one approaches him, though there is a lot of barking and other dogs pulling toward him. After about two weeks of this, the instructor suggests clicker training to combat his aversion to other dogs. Whenever he looks at an excitable dog in class, I click and treat. She also suggested using this strategy on our walks.

The click-and-treat worked for class (he actually played with another dog at one point during the fifth week of class!), but it hasn't carried over very well to real life. If we see another dog on a walk, I try to click and treat as soon as he notices them, but sometimes he sees them first. People who don't have reactive dogs also tend to let their dogs approach him (even when I say "please don't, he's not great at meeting other dogs"). He'll usually be fine for about 3-5 seconds, sometimes more if the dog is far enough away, but then he starts barking and lunging like crazy. He'll bark to the point where he even sounds a little hoarse. A lot of times I get him to stop by standing between him and the other dog and getting him to sit, then giving treats. Other times he just won't calm down and I just have to pick him up and scurry away. This can happen even if I've started clicking and treating as soon as he spots the dog, and even if we've made it through a few successful click-and-treats. If I put him down/move from in front of him once the dog is far enough away, he'll try to chase them.

My apartment has a small dog park as well, and I've only taken him there once when another dog was there, because I was terrified of how he would behave. He barked for a few minutes, but after some back-and-forth during which I was incredibly tense, he got enough buttsniffs in to feel comfortable and start playing. Any other dog, we have to run away from.

Please help. How can I help my dog be happy and well-adjusted?

@soundthearlarm1111 I would keep moving even when other people bring their dogs over to try to meet your pup. On leash greetings (if they happen at all) should be really short, a 1-2 second sniff maximum and then just keep things moving. Lingering beyond that can make things weird. It sounds like if he’s fine for 3-5 second, then a 1-2 second sniff and then promptly moving on will be good. The less chance he gets to practice the undesirable behavior, the better. Just like people, dogs get really great at the things they practice a lot!

I personally don’t use a clicker on walks, just a marker word with treats instead because carrying a clicker, making sure you are clicking and treating at exactly the right time and holding onto the leash properly can be fumble-y.

He’s still so young and progress takes time - you sound like a conscientious owner and I’m sure with practice, time, patience and consistency things will improve!

@cjmobxnc I have a 50-lb Malinois that looks like a police dog gone crazy when she reacts, so I feel your pain. But we have made huge strides over the past nine months, even with her young age and instinctive prey drive. It takes a lot of time, effort, and energy, but if you look at some of the resources noted in the sidebar, it will help. If you can find a local Reactive Rover or Feisty Fido class (usually at the Humane Society or Animal Welfare League), that's a great introduction into reactivity training. And this is also helpful: http://careforreactivedogs.com/

@cjmobxnc I also have a 50lb GSD, she's 9 months old. she would pull on the leash (flat collar) and was incredibly reactive to other dogs and people when we would be on walks (and off leash also). i got one session with a private trainer for myself and my pup. the trainer taught me how to use a prong collar (even with online resources i'm not confident that i would have used it properly without being taught how to use it). the behavior persisted for a very short period of time but a combination of clicker training with treats and corrections with the prong collar fixed it in under a week for me. the prong collar is meant to emulate a more senior dog in the pack nipping at their neck to convey the message "hey that behavior is unacceptable don't do it". that correction paired with your "no" command is much more powerful than i ever thought. i suggest looking into that! your mileage may vary of course but the results i saw with my pup were better than i could have hoped. in under a week we went from "i'm nervous to take you out around other people" to being able to walk her down busy streets and pass people without a bark or a pull at all. best of luck!

Back