4 Month Old Heeler Puppy Doesn’t Like Walks

I’ve had my 4 month old Heeler (my first Heeler) for about two months now and walking her has always been a bit of a pain. At the start especially she will constantly sit or lay down refusing to go where I’m directing. I’ve brought some of her kibble which helps mitigate that issue but she still doesn’t generally want to go.

Once we get going she’s fine, but she still doesn’t want to go far and she always does better when we’re headed home. I generally walk her 2-3 times a day.

I know she’s still young and I try not to push her, but I was just wondering if anyone else has had a similar issue? How old was your heeler puppy when they wanted/needed long daily walks?

I had always heard the breed was very active and needed a lot of walking. Am I just expecting too much this young, or is my girl just not much of a walker?

@kathleenloveschrist This has kind of been my idea. I’ve been trying to be consistent with her and allow her to go at her pace and smell everything. (I should’ve mentioned she is also deaf which could also be playing a role)

I’ve noticed over time that she’s done better the more we’ve gone on the same route and more likely to walk than if we go a new way. Just hoping more repetition and consistency leads to her eventually looking forward to her walks. She has been getting much better over time since I’ve had her, just a bit slower than I was expecting. Hoping to have her as my new hiking buddy once she’s grown!

@christian_girl_323 Sounds good, she might also be a little fearful of all the new smells and sights when she goes outside. Try sticking to the same route for a few days to see if she gets any more excited about coming out. Maybe familiarity will help.

@christian_girl_323 "she always does better when we’re headed home"

It's a scary world out there, especially when you're small and only 4 months old. I'm guessing she is starting to feel the urge to herd too, which means the job of protecting and herding around the house is also a big draw (where her toys and food are at) -- she'd rather do that than explore.

The big task for you is to keep walks positive, feed treats and praise her a bunch throughout the stroll, and build confidence so she knows the most fun thing is "to do our job" and patrol the 'hood.

@yeshuasown I have noticed she’s been a lot better and quicker to get with the program since bringing some of her kibble along in a treat pouch during our walks.

Hoping just doing that consistently moving forward gets her to where she looks forward to our walks as much as I do!

@christian_girl_323 It's never a bad idea to rule out a few other possibilities if the refusal continues or she gets defensive to the point of biting. Make sure her gear fits correctly, and the harness isn't too tight or rubs in a weird way. Check paws before and after to make sure she's not stepping on a piece of glass that's embedded itself. Talk to your vet about hip & joint supplements.

@yeshuasown Thank you for the advice, I’ll definitely bring it up next visit. I do need to get her a new harness this weekend. The one she has now was the only one that fit when I first got her but she’s just about reached the max limit of it size wise now.

@yeshuasown This! My old, non-ACD pup who loved to walk (I do mean LOVED) was seriouslh dragging ass one slightly chilly Christmas when we were circling the block.

Checked paws/back/hips/harness/etc, all good. By the time we got home, I had already imagined 1,001 terminal conditions and a $20k vet bill and...

It turned out she was apparently humiliated by wearing what I thought was a cute Christmas sweater (red, white faux fur collar, tasteful sprinkle of sequins?).

Once it was off, she almost knocked me over because was READY TO WALK, NOWWWWW!

She also had the same response to her Razorbacks football jersey, but only during the FCM years. Happily wore it once we hired Sam... 🤣 So OP, maybe be sure she's kosher with team colors, coaching staffs, all that???

+1 on the stimuli comments. As pup lost eyesight, our distance was seriously circumscribed, but she was happy to make multiple passes over the same ground once she felt safe, so maybe try that and gently forge into new territory as she's comfy?

To be fair, some days I wake up here in the city, hear an army of roaring leaf blowers, sirens, etc, and feel exactly like your dog, OP. Country roads, take me home, just not all the way to West Virginia; the Ozarks will do just fine.

OP, hope the walks become more fun!

@christian_girl_323 She might not be a walker. Every dog doesn’t exactly fit the mold for the breed. My baby was light weight and leggy. But she loved walks, until she got old and was content just sitting outside smelling the air. Just try to keep your little one physically (to an extent considering her age) and mentally active and see how it goes.

@jtcarrieres Every other dog I’ve had loved going on walks pretty much from the start so this is new to me. Should’ve mentioned in the original post that she is also deaf which could be contributing to the issue.

I was hoping to get most of her physical activity through walks but I may just have to look elsewhere. She’s still young so I’m gonna keep trying with her. She does have a bit of a stubborn streak in her. Almost like breaking a horse…

@jtcarrieres It’s what makes her so hard to read in this context. I can’t tell if she’s little and tired and I’m pushing too hard, or if she’s just being a stubborn pup trying to get her way.

Even with her walking issues she’s been one of the smartest/quickest learning pups I’ve ever had, and I’m totally smitten. Lol

@christian_girl_323 It might be overwhelming visually so she lays down to take it all in and process it? I have a BC/GSD/ACD that gets overwhelmed on walks from so much stimulation. We walk him at night in the dark and that seems to help.

@christian_girl_323 My princess Annie had a hard time with walks when young. She got scared by things she wasn't used to, especially groups of kids and yard equipment. Being positive, allowing her to go at her pace, allowing her to avoid things that make her nervous helped. I also found ways to get her more isolated walks, like in green spaces instead of the neighborhood.

I think the leash made her nervous. She was unable to move to run or avoid things and that made her scared. Once she was able to get used to a leash and trust I would lead her well when isolated, I started introducing her more and more to things that previously made her nervous. Now at 4, she and I regularly run 3-6 miles at a time in public parks, neighborhoods, as well as isolated areas with no issue. We bonded and when she sees me put on my running clothes gets excited and runs to her leash! Be patient it'll take time but you guys will figure it out.