3 year old dachshund with pain in left side

markos

About 3 months ago our 3 year old mini wire haired dachshund, Rufus, yelped intermittently when we stroked his left hand side. It probably happened about 5 times over the next 2 months. On one occasion I tried to gently find out the source of the pain and it seemed to be in the soft abdomen area just below the ribs on the left hand side.
What finally sent us to the vets was when I tried to lift him onto my knee from a sleeping position beside me he squealed in agony and he went for my face. Immediately my husband pulled him away and Rufus turned on him, biting his arm but not breaking the skin luckily.
We took him to the vets who thought it could be a spinal issue, possibly calcified discs. He was duly booked in for an X-ray the following week and had an anti inflammatory and pain killing medication (Metacam) to take daily.
When he went for the X-ray another vet assessed him prior to the procedure and could find no areas of tenderness so said she didn’t want him to go through the trauma of sedation for no reason.
We bought him home being told to keep on with the medication and keep an eye on his general demeanour.
Unfortunately a couple of days later, again when touching his left lower side, he reacted badly and went for my husband. This behaviour is so unusual as he’s normally a sweet tempered beautiful little dog.
So back to the vets we went. We saw another vet who gave us the option of an X-ray or take him home and to rest him completely (only 2 x 10 minutes walks daily and no playing) until his medication comes to an end (about a week)
We’ve brought him home hoping the rest will help but are in a quandary as to what our next step should be.
Has anyone else had this issue or has any advice to help please?

@markos I would definitely go back for the x-ray. Dachshunds in particular are very prone to IVDD (intervertebral disk disease). They say about every 1 in 4 will develop this and their risk is about 10x higher than most breeds because of their long backs. An x-ray would definitely help them determine a course of treatment and if surgery is needed. At the clinic I work at we have cold lasers that help our long backed friends a ton as well 😊 good luck and I hope your pups feeling better soon!

@hakjohn Thank you so much for the advice. Yes we’re pretty sure that’s the best course of action and your comments have confirmed that.