3 y/o bit a repairman with no warning whatsoever

marcel_prix

I have had this dog for about 4 months now, before that he was in a shelter for over a year, and we don't know what his life was like before that.

This week, a repair guy was in my house fixing something and when I came down to talk to him, my dog followed me. He sniffed the guys hand, playfully nipped it and then followed my commands to sit by me and leave the guy alone. His hackles weren't raised at all. Then, as the guy was walking out the door, my dog lunged and bit him in the back of the thigh. Tore his jeans and gave him a solid bruise and abrasions, but thankfully no punctures. My dog showed no warning or barking at all. He's been protective and territorial in the past, but showed no signs of aggression with this guy and has never ever bitten anyone while I've had him or as far as I know before I got him.

Of course, I am mortified that this happened and am taking all appropriate actions with the repair guy, who has been unbelievably kind and understanding. But I am worried something like this can happen again. What are your suggestions for training this behavior out, or at very least, training him to be more rigid in his following my commands so that if I say sit-stay, he doesn't fathom getting up without my say so?

Thank you

@marcel_prix There likely were other signs he was uncomfortable with the repairman, and you simply didn't know what he was trying to communicate at the time. Your best chance of success is getting a behavior consultant's help. In the meantime you can work on crate training him (if he isn't already) and having him stay in it w/a frozen kong in similar future situations. At least until you work with a BC.

@martinsimpson4 Is there a difference between a behavior consultant and a trainer? We've worked with a trainer, with much success I should add, focusing on his prey drive and off-leash recall. I have an appointment with her later this week to discuss and work on this issue.

I agree, the easiest and basically fool-proof solution is just to make sure he is safely crated when there is someone in the house, and I will do that in the meantime, but it doesn't address the behavior at its core, which is ideally what I would like to focus on.

@marcel_prix The difference between the two is like the difference between a mechanic versus an engineer. Basically what you want is what a BC will be able to help you with. Look for someone with CCPDT in their credentials.

The crate isn't the only solution per se, but it is the safest until the cause is addressed.

@marcel_prix I somehow read the first sentence as "I have had this repairman for about 4 months now, before that he was in a shelter for over a year, and we don't know what his life was like before that."

I got kinda concerned until I reread that

@marcel_prix What happens in such cases, is it the responsibility of the homeowner to take the repair person to the hospital/pay for bills? Does the homeowners insurance kick in, or is it the repair person’s insurance that would take care of expenses?

Curious to know of someone has been through this and knows what the protocols are in case something like this happens with my dog.

@pkgraeme I think it depends on your insurance and state, but for me, my homeowner's/renter's insurance has a personal liability clause, which extends to my dog. So if the person who got bit goes to the hospital and incurs medical charges, my insurance will somehow pay for it. Unsure if they pay directly or will reimburse him. This is all assuming he doesn't sue me.

@marcel_prix Aggression classes, muzzle him when people are over if you keep him out, put him in a crate when people are over or put him down.

EDIT SINCE PEOPLE ARE HIGHLY OFFENDED: As someone whose 5mo infant was mauled by a adopted dog that was 2yo at the time, even with my In Laws taking him to aggression courses, had him for 3 years, and we were all in the same room the baby was sitting on the floor playing with his blocks. Then yes euthanasia is needed especially If the animal can’t be trained or controlled it’s unfortunate but it needs to be done.

@marcel_prix To me what's interesting is that he bit on exit. Since the repairman was exiting and bitten on the back of the leg it is unlikely that the dog perceived a threat. That leads me to believe that it was a change in the "pack" structure that the dog reacted to. Training that may be a little difficult in that you need a "stranger" to come into your house, spend a little time, and then leave. If you can have a cooperative person help you, have the person say goodbye and give the dog a treat just before leaving (dog is on leash). You can even do this with guests. You're reinforcing that leaving is a positive experience for your dog.

Knowing that leaving is a trigger is important. Make sure when you have guests your dog is leashed during the transition.

if I say sit-stay, he doesn't fathom getting up without my say so

4 months with you vs 1 year in a shelter is not enough time for you dog to have learned to completely trust you. This will take time. You will need to work sit-stay several times a day (10 minutes or so per session) and under various distractions to reach the level of reliability you are looking for in the shortest period of time. That can be difficult if you're not a professional whose job it is to train dogs and more independent dogs may never get to the point you think you want. In the mean time, recognize that the transition my be the trigger and keep the dog leashed at those periods.