3 m/o F Rottweiler puppy won’t listen to us but will listen to our other dog (2 y/o F Pitt mix)

christiann00b

Hey everybody. I’m in need of help. We just adopted a Rottweiler puppy at 3 months. She’s on the timid side.

Our problem is that she is more concerned with getting our Pitt’s approval than ours. We’ve tried separating the two of them and doing basic obedience training so Rotti can focus, but she cries and frantically looks for Pitti the entire time. She won’t even move unless Pitti is within a few feet of her.

I don’t know if she was separated from her mother too late and is using pitti as a surrogate, but we’d obviously rather her listen to us than Pitti. Pitti isn’t overly maternal and would rather not be bothered with Rotti, but rotti is persistent. Any tips on getting Rotti to see Pitti as a sister and not as a mother figure? Should we just wait it out for Rotti to realize the food and attention comes from us and not Pitti?

Any help would be appreciated

@christiann00b Are you readable for the pup?

You know, the pit speaks the same language as she does. So naturally it is easier to communicate with other dog than her.

Consider reading about dog-dog and dog-human communication and Calming signals by Turid Ruggas

@innerinnocence I’ll look into what you suggested! I guess for more context I try using a high pitched voice and baby talking her. She looks in my direction but looks at me like I’m crazy lol. I have experience with older dogs but not necessarily puppies so I don’t know if I have to prime the baby talk and high pitch voice with treats for the puppy so that she knows that it means that I’m happy with her and she’s doing good

@christiann00b Nope. Keep the voice normal. More on the calm and happy side but do not make an idiot of you. (Trust me, training your dog on public later looks funny).
Talk to her more through your body and correct motivation

@christiann00b That you should not make an idiot out of yourself with baby voice. It is useless, no information for the dog. Keep your voice calm and friendly.
And imagine that baby voice on public while training.

@christiann00b you need to bond with your new puppy. for that, you need to spend time together, without the older dog. at least for the first several months (up to a year, I would suggest). what I mean by that is as simple as taking your puppy for at least 20 min walk (without the older dog). you can use these walks for training, play, exercising, etc.

(other advice you received are also good, I'm adding to that, not replacing it)

Back