2 yr old German Shepard X Kelpie WON’T stop jumping 😩

cankosker

My 2 yr old dog just won’t stop jumping up. I’ve tried the whole turning around, giving no attention and not petting till he sits but still nothing. I just don’t want him accidentally hurting a guest.
Also gets jealous when I hug my partner.

How do I train my doggg 🐕

@cankosker Reward your dog whenever he’s got 4 paws on the floor and have some puppy gates around so that you can put a barrier between you if you need to. It’ll help to prevent him from rehearsing the behaviour.

Check out this video for stopping jumping up too.

I also recommend that you provide your dog with lots of enrichment (snuffle mats, lickimats, scatter feeding, stuffed Kongs, etc) so that he’s more calm.

@cankosker Dude, this problem is real. Our 2 year old GSD took forever to learn whole four in the floor thing. What did the trick for us is: command "say hi". This prompts him to sit, and then the guest says "hi" and gives him pets. Make sure that your sit and stay commands are strong, and warn your guests before they come in that you are training, that way they can participate and wont setback any progress you have made. Make sure you and any members of your house do the same thing when you come into a room or the house (any time pupper would jump). I also found that giving pets while pupper is just walking around helps reinforce that four on the floor= attention.
Good luck!

@cankosker Does he have basic sit, down commands? Use these before he gets the chance to jump, if he ignores and jumps anyway then you need to teach them again from scratch. Start forming new habits in place of the jumping.

Don’t let him be in the position to greet guests if there’s a chance he’ll jump on them, put him on a lead and make sure he knows what a lead correction is so that you can correct behaviour you don’t like but make sure you have food or toy rewards for him when he behaves how you want him to. This will stop him from forming the habit of jumping.

I wouldn’t let any guests have any contact with him at all either until he stops getting anyway excited about their arrival, you’re fighting a losing battle if he thinks your guest is more interesting than the command you’re trying to tell him.

In general the idea is to start forming new habits for him, think about the scenarios that lead him to jump on you. Start by approaching these situations with a redirection already in mind, eg does he jump as soon as you take him outside? Try having a ball in your hand already so as soon as the door opens you can throw it and redirect him that way.

Does he jump as soon as you walk inside? Try forming a new habit of him lying down as soon as he sees you but don’t reward with an explosion of excitement, try just giving him some food down at his feet and walking on with less engagement.

This will depend on how you want him to behave but the bottom line is that he’s a young, well driven dog and he’s directing this through jumping on you as this is the most rewarding behaviour he knows. You need to teach him other more rewarding and highly stimulating alternatives as well as disciplining him at the right times. You are not going to get a quiet well behaved dog that has no outlets for his energy.

@cankosker I would advise you against Say Please By Sitting as it’s quite an outdated and coercive method though. Recommend that you read the book Plenty In Life Is Free by Kathy Sdao if you’d like to learn why :)