2 year old 110 lbs jumping 6’ privacy fence!!

lovesjesus1313

My partner adopted a very sweet VERY large male mutt at the beginning of the year. He has pretty intense separation anxiety and does the typical overactive behavior that she has been working on training out of him when she leaves. Recently, though, he figured out how to jump her 6’ privacy fence. Her house is close to a very busy intersection and we worry about him every time we leave. Is there anything we can do besides build a higher fence?

@lovesjesus1313 Make your fence come inward at the top at a 45° angle. Its how people keep cats in so i dont see why not. Just some chicken wire at the top should do the trick. Or you could buy a dog run, or a tie out, you could kennel train him and keep him indoors. Theres alot of options but as long as hes got proper shelter, water, and the weather is appropriate leaving him in the fenced yard isnt a huge deal. You MIGHT wanna grab a baby cam though to make sure his separation anxiety isnt manifesting as him barking his head off though.

@lovesjesus1313 The jumping of fences is not something you can make the dog unlearn. Jumping the fence is life-threatening for the dog so whatever training is being done to assist the dog with it's separation anxiety must be amped right up.

Is there a doggy day-care or a relative that can supervise the dog whilst you are out and until you get the separation anxiety settle a little more?

Until then, I agree with the other redditors brief suggestions. You may have to make a entirely closed in dog run our of mesh. If you do this ensure the dog has plenty of shelter from the sun and weather from all directions, always has water and you provide the dog with toys and stuffed kongs to help him settle (along with whatever training you are currently doing).