2 y/Old intact S.Poodle, dog reactivity, was a service dog prospect

pretorcm

Hi, hope y’all are doing well.
I have a 2 year old intact standard poodle, his name is Angus. He is from a decently stable line of standards. I would consider him partially working line, his dad hunts (is also a UKC And AKC champion) (mom is an AKC champion) and many members of his line do therapy work, service work, hunting, and several competition dogs (in addition to many being shown). I mention this because he has some drive and more of a prey drive than I’m used to seeing in many poodles, though it is decently managed and I can call him off a squirrel with or without his Ecollar. He is about 48-49 pounds, and on the smaller side though his confirmation is good. Currently he lives with a barky ACD mix who is my family’s dog though I hopefully can move out sometime this or next year, as the acd mix has taught Angus plenty of barking related behaviors when around the house that I’m not pleased with.

He is off leash Ecollar trained, I do not have training in how to use an Ecollar for none recall situations.

He is my service dog in training and I’m desperately hoping he doesn’t have to wash, he is currently pulled from all none dog friendly public access, as dog reactivity is extremely inappropriate in a service dog. I am in a state that allows disabled handlers to have public access training for Service dogs in training. It’s worth noting a lot of our training has suffered though because public access training provided so much time working together through all sorts of environments that I have trouble replicating and working through. It’s also harder just becuase it was easier to put in several hours every other day when we were doing errands and accompanying my dad together.

My first service dog had to be early retired after developing some protective tendencies and dog reactivity after being attacked by another dog in a grocery store while working quite suddenly which was really hard on me, and making it harder for me to objectively train Angus right now as I have a lot of stress around dogs suddenly appearing and approaching us, especially off leash.

I am having trouble with him becoming dog reactive at around 1.5 years of age. It started cropping up after he was nearly attacked by a small dog on a flexi in a Home Depot when the owner wasn’t paying attention. I am seeing a behaviorist who isn’t too bothered by Angus’s responses and overall considers him stable, but when we travel to visit him I feel that Angus is acting better than he might in a more familiar situation, but thus far he has made a lot of improvement through primarily positive reinforcement. He currently is able to calm down mostly over time in day group class setting with space between dogs.

Before that he had been fairly good in most situations with other dogs. We had encountered a few other service dogs, and he was doing well enough in public access training to be able to easily go places like Costco, grocery stores big and small, and home good stores, and fast food. His favorite store was Costco, and frankly he was doing extremely well in his public access training. For context, the dog that almost got him before had previously stood at the service desk with the owner while I was waiting in Home Depot and barked at him and I for about ten minutes all while Angus calmly sat and paid attention to me, the near attack came later when the owner came from behind me after being around the store.

Now if we see another dog on leash, he is likely going to pull at it, and possibly bark or lunge, but at least want to pay attention to it and become more aroused. With work I have reduced a lot of the more “explosive behavior” for the most part, often I can have him focus on me if we pass with good proximity and the other dog isn’t barking at us. He still really struggles if the other dog is pulling or barking at him in anyway and that’s usually when he would do that back. It’s hard to know exactly how he will respond but the more prep time I have I usually can help him ignore the other dog better. It’s somewhat hard to tell what level is aggression vs frustration vs excitement. Occasionally If he is wearing his Ecollar, I may give him a low level stim and that usually breaks his focus and helps him return his focus to me.
I struggle some with balancing everything that comes with this though, and the Ecollar is especially chancy to time and I’m not that comfortable with it in this context for that reason.

My behaviorist is looking into introducing a prong to help me with my reaction time and to provide some instant correction. Considering his level of response to his Ecollar at low levels (5-7 on a mini educator) and how vastly it helped us with his off leash recall, I think using some level of correction may be helpful especially because of how fast he learns from just minor corrections paired with positive reinforcement. I have a starmark “prong”(it’s like a prong but softer I think, just black plastic triangles on the inside) coming from chewy tomorrow that I am curious to try out. I am just pretty apprehensive that I’m going to somehow ruin my dog by adding in punishment like this.

I am 22 with a big ol anxiety disorder and am on the autism spectrum. I also have ADHD (which used to be an asset in dog training), and currently working through some depression. I have had trouble with confidence and also some skill degradation since my first service dog needed to suddenly retire, and since being very sick for a few months last when Angus was about 9 months old. I would say I am a novice dog trainer, with some understanding of advanced learning concepts but without a lot of practical experience and unfortunately after the incident with the dog attack on my first service dog, I’ve been having issues with anxiety eating at my working memory when I’m trying to handle stressful multi dog situations. My first service dog came partially trained with a lot of basic and advanced in home obedience done, and so I did all of her public access and task training, all through positive reinforcement training. I wanted to give that context because I’m not a total dumbass but I need to learn a lot more and because I sometimes wonder if I should try to see if I can somehow afford board and training instead of trying to get through this with occasional group classes and meeting up with my behaviorist.

I am curious to hear what other folks think and if they have resources I could spend more time looking into or suggestions. It’s worth mentioning I’m not really comfortable with “helicoptering”, and obviously not very experienced with correction based training which doesn’t mean I’m against it, just that it doesn’t come as naturally. I grew up being exposed to some stupid ass alpha obsessed assholes which makes it hard to feel comfortable with learning, but I’m guessing it could play a very useful role in helping Angus and I hopefully succeed with dealing with dog reactivity.
Sorry also if this was too long, I am very worried about missing something, I will try hard to answer questions as fully as possible. Thank you for your time.

@pretorcm Program trainer here-

I “work” with a team who has this exact problem, but actually has it worse than what you’re describing. Once this service dog is at threshold, she goes nuts. Sadly, the handler is part of an all positive program as a client with restrictions legally and socially, so she just has to deal with it. And this is a fully trained and graduated program dog, but you know how programs tend to churn out half trained cookie cutter dogs for $$$$.

The fact that a behaviorist is telling you it’s not as bad as you think, AND more importantly- workable- is good. A behaviorist would have told you flat out if he wanted you to wash the dog.

THAT tells me the dog isn’t going to wash for the issue UNLESS it is intended aggression with a goal to kill. But if it’s your typical exploding behavior, allow your behaviorist and or trainer to work with the prong collar. It is a humane way to provide a SPLIT second correction. So, if you were out and saw your dog start to even THINK about exploding at the other dog, you would firmly say “NO” and pop the prong collar, and keep walking. If we correct early while the dog stares, but hasn’t exploded yet, they won’t get the chance to explode. They get corrected and we keep walking.

Trust your behaviorist, the prong collar training, the trainer, and yourself. You’re going to make it. ❤️

@coker Thank you so much. Your explanation makes perfect sense to me. And is also incredibly reassuring. I wouldn’t say Angus doesn’t go nuts, he’s has been over threshold a few times and looked like a fluffy hell beast but even than given a visual barrier and distance he’s able to calm down very quickly and in general it’s one of his strengths compared to other dogs I’ve gotten to work with. I think probably the worst part explode-y wise is he just sounds and looks scary, what with the poodle powered jump and weirdly deep bark, but if indeed I get to correct before it escalates much at all that likely won’t even be an issue if that correction with good timing prevents explosion/provides a reminder of what to do or allows for me to redirect the attention and energy, we should be okay. For some reason I wasn’t thinking about how you could give a correction before the inappropriate behavior/at the very start even if the start point isn’t necessarily inappropriate, which also means that if Angus starts and redirects himself (IE looks to me) I can reward for that. My behaviorist is extremely experienced and has trained service dogs for an org before as well, and it always surprises me to hear about the types of issues different dogs were allowed to have and still get placed, though some of the dogs he helped with were in home only. I trust his judgement overall and so I will try to trust in this and just do my best to keep up with training, as I can’t see him very often but we improve every time we meet up, and in between sessions.

I really appreciate you taking the time to comment and explain what you think and give context as to why you think it. Also, thank you so much for your work training service dogs, I understand your frustration with the limitations of said program, and I hope things improve for you and your client! It’s very surprising to know that the SD is allowed to work with that level of dog reactivity though, I’d be frustrated too. I hope things are going well for you! ❤️

@coker AH, sorry for being so long winded in literally everything I write, I don’t mean to write a novel, I just struggle with shortening things. The main thing I wanted to say in my reply besides thank you was I don’t think it’s with intent to kill, the few times an off leash dog has actually got to us regardless of his posturing, it seems to lead to him either scaring it off (making space) or ramped up play behavior. More often it seems like weird play behavior that’s muddled with frustration. I’m not 100% sure, he just actively gets along with many dogs even if I do have to make sure he plays appropriately as he doesn’t try to deescalate dogs that are getting over excited like my retired SD does. He actually helped me corner a neighbor’s mini schnauzer the other week who had escaped near a busy street until the owner could get it, and that seemed to be very LOUD but very playful behavior.