2 y.o. Dog with Luxating Patella - surgery alternatives? (Food, supplements, etc.)

Hi! I have a 2 yr old female pup - she’s supposedly an Australian shepherd/blue heeler mix, but she’s only 25 lbs and doesn’t really resemble either breed visually. She’s extremely active - her biggest joy in life is running and jumping as high as she can to catch her frisbee.

A few months back, we were playing in the backyard and as she was running back to us with the frisbee, she just went down. She just sat there and cried for about 30 seconds and was holding her back leg up, we rubbed her leg and then she stood up and seemed ok. We went in for the day, but continued playing frisbee with her over the next few months.

Fast forward to a few weeks ago - she started limping on and off. Sometimes she hops around on 3 feet and holds her one back leg all the way up, and sometimes she weight on it and seems to be okay. She never cries out or acts like she’s in pain, but I’m not sure if she would.

We took her to the vet last week and he diagnosed her with patellar luxation. Since she’s so young and active, he recommended surgery. He also put her on anti-inflammatory meds but those don’t seem to be helping.

We are definitely willing to go the surgical route if we need to - Cali is will be miserable if she’s not able to play frisbee anymore. But the risks are concerning to me. So I’m curious about non-surgical things we can try before going through with the surgery.

We have treats with glucosamine/chondroitin that we’ve been giving her. She isn’t overweight at all so losing weight wouldn’t be a factor. Any recommendations on foods, other supplements, or anything at all would be appreciated. TYIA!

@lastreetpreacher Vet tech - surgery is the only good option. Her patella luxates because the patellar groove in the femur isn't deep enough, so it pops out during extension. Surgery will deepen the groove so it stays in place. Nothing is going to take the place of surgery. You can't tighten the ligaments that hold the patella, so the groove needs to be deepened. Cosequin or Dasuquin are never wrong, but they aren't going to help this particular problem.