2 y/o chow mix avoiding bowl-holder

tim123

Over the last 3-4 days, my dog has been avoiding eating out of his bowl. He is a nearly 2 y/o healthy, very active Chow Chow/GSD mix with no changes to food or daily routine. He has always been a very good eater, and has healthy stool.

This week, for no clear reason, he has been avoiding eating. I was worried it could have something to do with his allergies, or the weather, or maybe he had a stomach bug. This morning, after a couple days of watching him avoid eating, I noticed he started nudging at his food bowl in its holder pretty adamantly. I set his bowl on the ground and he did the same thing, so I emptied his food onto the floor and he ate everything and licked the bowl clean.

Is there any particular reason for this? I made his bowl holder custom for his height, and he continues to drink his water from its place in the bowl holder. At this point I’m wondering if there could’ve been a spider or bug on the holder that might’ve stung his little face. Is he just a strange and otherwise sweet critter and I’m reading too much into it? Sorry for the length, TIA!

@tim123 Some dogs simply prefer eating off the floor or at a lower level. It's possible that he finds it more comfortable or enjoyable to eat this way.

If he continues to eat without any issues when his food is on the floor, you might consider using a different type of bowl or feeding him on a mat.

but just to be sure, ensure his eating area is clean and free of any potential distractions like bugs lol

Back