16-week old Puppy having feeding issues

janeenjoy

This is a dog that was really fearful/skittish when I adopted her at 11 weeks but has made a lot of progress. She's always been inconsistent with food, e.g. she would seem to be indicating that she's hungry a couple of hours before feeding time, then ignore her food when it's put in her bowl, only to eat like she's starving an hour later.

After doing some reading here and elsewhere, I've been trying to train her to the strict feeding times, putting her bowl down and taking it away if she hasn't starting eating in twenty minutes, and she doesn't seem to "get it". She missed both feeding sessions yesterday, then slept in her crate (where she eats) last night instead of on the floor beside my bed, but when I tried to feed her in the morning, nothing.

I know if I leave it out all day for her, she'll eventually eat, but that's sometimes problematic because there is another dog in the house that's food-aggressive.

She also eats enthusiastically if I deliver it in a novel or stimulating way. I found a food dispensing toy and she went bonkers over that (I would have to load it three times for each feeding) for three days and then decided she wasn't interested in it any more. This morning I found that she would eat her kibble if I scattered it on her crate liner a handful at a time (but wouldn't eat from her bowl). I tried a different, plastic bowl instead of her metal one but she wasn't any more interested.

Is it better to stay the course until she figures out she needs to eat food out of the bowl when it's put there? So far I haven't held out past two missed feedings without giving in and bringing the food back later, or looking for novel/stimulating ways to feed, or whatever.

Same thing again tonight. Acted out that she's hungry, then ignored her kibble when I crated her with it. After an hour I started dumping it out a handful at a time and she ate like she was starving, then wanted more when it was all gone.

Although I'd prefer not to have to hand feed her to get her to eat, my bigger worry is that she'll lose interest in this feeding method the same way she did with the toy and we'll be back to square one.

@janeenjoy I’d love to know if anyone has an answer for this because I’m seeing the same problem myself. My 10 month old is very intermittent with when she eats and I’m really trying to put weight on her but she just doesn’t seem to care about eating. I’ve tried different foods but I’d really like to stop switching it up since it takes time to adjust. Any insight would be awesome.

@utsukushii It's kibble for puppies, 'Iams Proactive Health' something. When I first adopted her, the mother's owners had been feeding her that mixed with wet dog food. When she first started acting indifferent to food, I switched to all dry and it seemed to fix the problem initially.

As far as I can tell the issue isn't with the food, it's the delivery method.

This morning I tried putting it on a dinner plate and she wasn't interested. Then I scattered it in a fabric storage container and she gobbled it up. I think her issue might be that she doesn't like her food clumped together, she seems fine with it spread out.

Maybe the smell overwhelms her when it's concentrated in a bowl? Just guessing.

@janeenjoy I would recommend changing the food. Try switching to a higher quality food, something like Nulo, Zignature, Earthborn, Instinct, Fromm, or Only Natural Pet. Those are all higher quality foods that have higher palatability.

When it comes to feeding, some dogs don’t like eating out of a bowl so you can try feeding on a plastic mat instead. Another thing you can try is adding warm water to the nibble and letting it sit for 5 mins and see if your dog likes it like that.

I hope this helps! And I highly recommend to change the food, check out what is in the ingredients of Iams, you might be disappointed in what you find.

Back