1099 Groomer?

avafish

I’ve recently gone through several salon interviews and finally landed on a salon that fits everything on my list in terms of standards, quality, and care. The only issue is is that to be brought on I would have to be a 1099 I.C.. I’ve heard a lot of negative things involving being a I.C. and I’m at a loss. I would pick my own schedule/times and leave whenever my work is done, I would make 50% commission, the dogs would be booked for me instead of me doing the bookings, and I provide the tools but they provide the shampoos/conditioners, dryers, tables, bows/bandanas, etc.. How do I navigate this? Is it illegal to be an I.C. as a groomer? If I do start working for them, should I get business insurance?

@avafish Unless you have your own tax ID, buy your own products and equipment and book your dog's yourself, you are considered an employee. Basically you would have to rent a spot in the salon to be considered a 1099. They probably don't want to pay employer taxes. If the IRS finds out, you both could get in trouble.

@avafish Yes that is an illegal 1099. There is a whole Facebook group called groomer misclassified / 1099 that has a lot of great information.

If you're an IC you get 100% of your money, you control your bookings, you have to have a business license, insurance the whole thing. As a 1099 you'd be your own business so it'd have to be a completely separate operation. You can't even use their supplies.

@avafish I am a legal 1099 IC, and what you are explaining is illegal. A lot of salons do this to try to weasel their way out of paying employee taxes, sick time, and proper business insurance. A true IC is their own business working under the same roof (think of a groomer that has their own business in a vets office, out of a local pet shop, or like hairdressers that rent a booth). You should only be sharing rent with the other "tenants"/ groomers. 100% of the service is paid directly to you/ your business account. You have your own insurance, clients, schedule, and prices.

There is no. such. thing. as a 1099 EMPLOYEE. If you are saving your own taxes and they have any control over anything other than a flat rent payment, then it's most likely illegal!

@avafish Yep, as an actual legal 1099 this isn't it. You have to be paying rent and then doing everything else yourself. Booking, product, time, etc. I would just let them know that if they want a 1099 you will be booking your own clients and see if they want to negotiate a legal 1099 or not. If you do work for them, you will need your own insurance and you will be paying more taxes. But this is an illegal position as you have listed it. They are avoiding taxes.

@avafish It's illegal. If you actually put away 20% for your paycheck for taxes you're only making 30% of the groom.

Not worth it at all.

Plus you'll need insurance. You'll be making pennies.

@sheiriam Came to say this. I just left a 1099 job yesterday and am starting a W4 job today because the salon owner raised the rent on me. I did the math and I was making less than $15/hr (not counting tips), plus environment was just toxic.

But here is some math for you to consider whether or not working at that salon would be worth it:

Let’s assume you groom 4-5 dogs a day, are working 5 days a week, and groom prices range $50-$100, that’s a a range of $1250-$2000 a week.
Now, before you get excited, let’s do some math.

If your average weekly income is about $1500, and your employer is going to hang on to half of that, then your income is actually going to be closer to $750.
What’s more, you’re going to want to set aside about 20% into a savings account or make quarterly payments to the IRS, that’s $150/week to taxes and means you’re making $600 a week average.

$600 divided by 40 hours a week comes out to $15/hr.

But the thing is, as an independent contractor, you have to pay for a lot of things an employer normally would for you. Shampoos and other supplies, sharpening, insurance, after those expenses your hourly rate is going to easily drop down to $10 an hour.

Insurance is a big one not just because it is costly, but because it is really necessary in our line of work.

You get bit by a dog, the salon you work at takes 0 responsibility because you are I.D.

You cut a dog, again, the salon takes 0 responsibility and if the customer wants their vet bill covered, it’s coming out of your pocket.

Lastly, if all that wasn’t enough to turn you off, my co-worker filed single and no kids and ended up owing the IRS over $7k when she filed through TurboTax.

Keep looking for another salon OP, it’s not worth it.

Back